lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The Best Things Happen Unexpectedly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

Maine is my happy place, my favorite place in the whole world, and I never thought I would meet anyone while on vacation there. My family has made it a tradition to go up every year. My mom still tells me stories of when she was my age in Maine. She tells me about “all of the boys” she has met and gone out with. It was a normal thing for her and her girlfriends to basically find boys on the beach to hang out with. I never was able to find friends on the beach never mind meet a boy. This past summer happened to be different. I somehow met my boyfriend in my favorite place.  

Tyler and I both impulsively decided to download Tinder before we went to Maine. Again, I go up there every year and I found out that he does too. I wanted to find someone to hang out with or just go out to bars with. We matched on the app instantly. We added each other on Snapchat and from there we instantly clicked. One day I was up at six in the morning (which is totally not normal for me) and decided to go on a walk on the beach. I was messaging him on Snapchat, and he said he would meet me on the beach if I wanted him to. Of course, I instantly messaged him back telling him to meet up with me! My anxiety was really beginning to creep up on me at this point, but I didn’t let that change my decision. I was walking on the beach by myself and was looking at my phone every five seconds, waiting for a message from him. I stopped for a few minutes when I got to the end of the beach and I finally noticed him walking down from the street. I don’t even have the words to explain how I felt when I saw him. It was awkward, weird, romantic, but I loved every minute of it.

Not to get into too many details, I knew what we had was special. I was instantly comfortable with him; I could talk about anything and everything with him. Let’s just say I developed feelings very quick. I never planned on meeting anyone in Maine, as I usually keep to myself and my family. Tyler and I spent the rest of the week together, and eventually our vacation had to end. It was back to reality for us, and at that point we knew we wanted to make things work; so, we did.  We continued seeing each other for the rest of the summer, one way or another. We only live an hour and a half away from each other, two hours when I’m at school. We still make it work, regardless of the distance.

One of the best things in my life this past summer was meeting Tyler.  I never thought I would meet anyone so thoughtful, encouraging, polite, kind and all together such an amazing person.  I wasn’t planning on meeting someone like him or even getting into another relationship, but it was the best thing I could’ve done. I have someone who supports me, no matter what. He pushes me to do my best and I know he’s there for me on my bad days. He is just someone I want to keep in my life. Maine has changed my life in so many ways, and this summer proves that.  

The best things happen unexpectedly. Let life happen and don’t let your anxieties get the best of you. You never know what may happen.

Kellie is a sophomore at MCLA. She’s a Psychology major with a minor in Behavior Analysis. Her true passion is dancing!