Transitioning Summer Trends for Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

I don’t know about you, but Montreal weather just can’t seem to make up its mind. Reminiscent of those summer days, the sun would be shining brightly, but a sudden gust of wind will offer you the unwelcome reminder of the inevitable arrival of the notorious Canadian winter (and midterms, yikes!). More importantly, the fickleness creates a major obstacle for our wardrobe choices. In such a confusing time of the year, do we dress for the heat or the lack thereof? Here are some great tips generated so that you don’t have to choose. Let summer down gently and ease into fall.

The boyfriend jean

Boyfriend jeanswere a big player in the menswear trend this year. Their oversized look gave a cool, airy effect for the summer. Despite the approach of fall, keep that too-cool-for-school aura! Playing with proportions, pair a tight t-shirt with your slouchy bottoms. In the summer, you would emphasize the bagginess of your trousers by cuffing them to show off your cute sandals. However, summer sandals have nothing on fall boots. Show off a pair of feminine booties and keep the cuffed look! A pair of form-fitting boots can accentuate your ankles and still keep you warm. Maybe even sneak in a pair of long socks for extra coverage; I won’t tell. Lastly, polish the look off with a blazer to ground your effortless look. Back to school means back to business!

The crop top

The crop top falls opposite to the boyfriend jean on the size spectrum. While the boyfriend jean leaves room to grow, the crop top likes to purposely shrink in the wash. Crop tops emphasize the waist, giving the illusion of longer legs. And who doesn’t love that? Instead of pairing them off with a pair of conventional cut-offs, spice it up like a pumpkin chai latte with some high-waisted pants. In this case, the crop top sports a fierce graphic print, another trend this season. For the daring, this shirt will look great with a pair of leather pants/tights. Adding a beanie, an oversized cardigan and some combat boots, you will look ready to conquer those midterms while staying warm doing it.

The skater skirt

The skater skirt brings back a 50s vibe. The skirt’s fullness is perfect for twirling in. You feel like an absolute princess! The playful silhouette was perfect for days out at amusement parks and picnics. This fall, channel in some of that retro royalty and rule the school! Throw on a jumper to instantly create a casual, girly look. Take it a step further with a knit scarf and some rocking tube socks. After all, it may be difficult to kiss goodbye to some of our summer favourites, but you must be excited to sport some cute knitwear for the fall! 

Collages courtesy of http://www.polyvore.com/