Tess McNeil: President of McGill Improv

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Meet Tess, the current president of McGill Improv, an on-campus club that holds workshops and shows featuring students from different backgrounds who have one thing in common: a love for being goofy and performing improv. We sat down with Tess to ask her how she got involved with improv, what she does as the president of McGill Improv, and her opinions on Montreal’s improv scene. 

Prairie Broughton for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): Hi Tess! Can you tell us a little about yourself?

Tess McNeil (TM): I’m a 4th year student from Fort McMurray, Alberta, studying Physical Geography and Political Science. In my free time, I like playing instruments like the ukulele and guitar. I am also into theater, although I don’t really have time to participate in shows or musicals at McGill, since I dedicate a lot of my time to improv.

HC McGill: How and when did you get started in improv? Was it something that you were always interested in?

TM: When I was in high school, my school had an improv team, and I had a few friends who were in it. During my senior year, one of my close friends suggested I try out for the team, even though I didn’t think I would make it. I ended up getting a callback a week later, eventually making the team. All of a sudden, four hours of my week were dedicated to improv and doing shows at lunchtime. I had really enjoyed my experience with improv during that last year of high school, so I made sure to seek out the opportunity to do improv when I came to McGill, and McGill Improv quickly became a big part of my life.

HC McGill: Can you tell us a bit about McGill Improv and what your role is as the president?

TM: McGill Improv is a SSMU club, and we hold weekly workshops every Saturday from 1-3 pm, as well as an advanced workshop during the week where we spend more time dissecting scenes. Our Saturday workshops are meant for anyone interested in some introductory improv skills and to work on improvised theater techniques. We also do shows about once a month and attend summits, which are competitions with other schools. Summits are great because you get to meet other college students interested in improv from around Canada and the United States. As president of McGill Improv, I basically oversee things and make sure that the other execs are doing what they are supposed to (although they are all excellent and do a great job by themselves). Some of my other duties involve running the workshops, representing McGill Improv when interacting with other on-campus groups, and making sure that things run smoothly.

HC McGill: You’re also involved in Montreal Improv. Can you tell us what that is like?

TM: Montreal Improv offers classes to the general public, so I got involved by signing up for some classes. The classes are for all different levels, and once you pass a certain level, you can start forming teams and performing in some shows that they hold. I have been in some of the more basic shows, like Indie Night, which is open to people of various levels. Montreal Improv is a really great place to learn some more advanced techniques and truly get into the art of improvising. They also hold some amazing shows featuring more seasoned improvisers, which are always fun to go to.

HC McGill: It sounds like there are a lot of opportunities for students to get involved in improv in Montreal. What can you say about the improv scene here?

TM: I like it a lot. All of the people I have met at McGill Improv and Montreal Improv have been super friendly and welcoming. It’s not a cutthroat type of environment. You go to a show and you feel welcomed and happy to be there. At this point, I’m familiar with a lot of people, not just at McGill, but at Montreal Improv as well, and it’s really nice. We all know each other by name too, which makes it more personal.

HC McGill: Is there anyone who inspires you to get better and continue with improv?  

TM: There are so many! Del Close, and celebrities like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler are some more famous improvisers; but there are also some local inspirations from Montreal Improv who I get to see perform sometimes. Rapid Fire Theatre, a company based in Edmonton, was the first professional improv show I ever saw. It blew my mind that people could do improv professionally, which was awesome. It showed me that I could continue doing improv past high school, which I clearly have!

HC McGill: Do you have any words of encouragement for someone who might want to get started with improv? Do you recommend they come to one of your workshops?

TM: I recommend that anyone and everyone come to a workshop! Even if you don’t have any interest in improv, if you just have an inkling that you think it might be something for you, definitely come. Trying out for my high school team was one of the most impulsive decisions I ever made and it has been one of the best things I’ve ever done. I’m so glad I just went for it. It’s a nice way to get out of your comfort zone, to be goofy and to have fun with other people. 

If you want to get involved with McGill Improv and find out more about their workshops and upcoming shows, make sure to like them on facebook

Images provided by Brent Callis Photography, and interviewee. 

4th year student at McGill who loves food, dogs and lipstick