Ten Christmas Movies to Watch over the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Like many of you, I have been overloaded with assignments, presentations, and group projects in every class possible. But somehow, I have managed to sneak in some time to watch Christmas movies with my roommate. We both LOVE Christmas — we’ve already decked out our fireplace in lights and stockings — and are counting down the days until presents and turkey (with advent calendars, of course). Our Christmas season would not be complete without those festive feature length films that we loved as children and the ones that we still love today. Who doesn’t remember watching The Muppet Christmas Carol with your siblings or It’s a Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve? If your answer to that question was No, not me, then you’re probably the Grinch! 

Read below and enjoy!

1. The Santa Clause: Filmed in my hometown and Tim Allen as Santa Claus. Perfect.

2. Home Alone: Before Macaulay Culkin went to jail he was fighting criminals as a six year old. A holiday staple.

3. It’s a Wonderful Life: Old-time classic to watch your family. It is on TV every year on Christmas Eve!

4. Elf: What could be funnier than Will Ferrell in tights?

5. Love Actually: So much feel good love. Teared up a bit at the airport scene.

6. How the Grinch Stole Christmas: “If you utter so much as one syllable, I’LL HUNT YOU DOWN AND GUT YOU LIKE A FISH!!! If you’d like to fax me, press the star key.”

7. Miracle on 34th Street: The girl who plays Matilda saves Santa Claus and gets the perfect family. Pure Christmas joy.

8. The Holiday: I never thought it was fair that Kate Winslet got Jack Black while Cameron Diaz ended up with Jude Law, but regardless, a great rom-com holiday film.

9. The Muppet Christmas Carol: Charles Dickens’ classic Christmas tale goes Muppets. Who doesn’t love the story of Scrooge?

10. Four Christmases: An unmarried, Christmas-loathing couple is forced to visit their four crazy families for Christmas when their holiday travel plans are ruined by inclement weather. By the end of the movie they end up wanting to get married, have kids, and enjoy the holiday after witnessing the horrors of dysfunctional families. I don’t get the logic, but still hilarious all around. 

Just looked out my window and it’s snowing… Time to watch a movie!

(Sources: fanpop.com, hellogiggles.com, ifccenter.com, imdb.com, celebuzz.com, fanpop.com, skymovies.sky.com, allmoviephoto.com, chud.com mediacitygroove.com)