Taking First Year by Storm: Mary Lynne Loftus on MUN, Leadership and Learning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

For a lot of students, first year is about taking it easy and getting your bearings. One new student, however, has decided to do things a little differently. Introducing McGill’s very own Wonder Woman: Mary Lynne Loftus.

Lauren Ballard for HC McGill: What kind of activities do you do outside of school?

Mary Lynne Loftus: In September, I became a coordinator for a high school Model United Nations conference called SSUNS. I’ll be working in the delegate resource centre over the course of the conference in November, helping delegates with any inquiries they have, selling merchandise and helping with research and printing. I’m so happy I did because it’s a conference that I attended as a delegate for the past 2 years, so it’ll be awesome being able to see the other side of things. It’s attended by more than 1,500 delegates annually and hundreds of McGill students staff the conference.

Mary Lynne at McGill’s Political Science Students Association

I’m also the Co-Communications Executive of the New Democratic Party of McGill (meaning I send out listervs and handle the club’s social media accounts), Vice President Member Relations on the Junior Panhellenic Council for Kappa Alpha Theta, a member of Jam for Justice, McGill Women in Leadership and the academic co-chair under the Events portfolio of the Political Science Student Association.

I also work at the McGill School of Continuing Studies’ intensive language program where I coordinate the schedules of communication facilitators who practice English and French with international students and people who wish to improve their speaking and writing skills. I set up events for students to discover the city and I also serve as a communication facilitator myself by helping students prepare for the speaking component of their proficiency exam.

HC McGill: What skills have these activities taught you?

MLL: MUN really got me out of my shell and made me a lot more interested in international relations – it was a huge part of my CEGEP experience. [I’ve also learned] so many skills I’ll need after my degree, from communication and interpersonal skills to effective public speaking to strong research tactics.

HC McGill: That’s a lot for a new student! How do you balance all of this with the pressure of school?

MLL: I have an agenda that has my literal life in it (I’m screwed if I lose it) and I also make sure to manage my time well by putting aside study hours and hours for exercise and social activities with friends and family. I am lucky to have such a great support system and I always get everything done because [studying] business forces me to get certain assignments and papers done in advance.

Mary Lynne with McGill’s New Democratic Party

HC McGill: What do you have in mind for the future?

MLL: I definitely want to continue to be involved in MUN at McGill. I’m a first year now and things may certainly change, but I’d love to pursue a masters degree in Political Science at a grad school somewhere in Europe and eventually work in diplomacy.

Images obtained from:

https://www.m-unc.org/office-of-the-un-high-commissioner-for-refugees

http://ssmu.mcgill.ca/ndpmcgill/

https://www.mcgillpssa.ca/

Lauren is the Campus Correspondent of HC McGill, in her third year of university. She is an Anthropology major with a minor in English Literature, and is passionate about her dog, her bed and archaeology.