Review: “About Time” is a Movie Full of British Humor and Heart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Writer-director Richard Curtis’ About Time is sure to draw in any and all lovers of Curtis’ delightfully British, delightfully awkward and bumbling brand of rom-com, though you shouldn’t go into the cinema expecting a different version of Love Actually. While the heavy referencing of Love Actually was unavoidable during the promotional stage, since Curtis wrote and directed both films, I personally think that particular tagline is misleading. The films are two completely different animals, and this new one has more in common, tone-wise, with Curtis’ past oeuvre as scriptwriter (Bridget Jones’ DiaryNotting HillFour Weddings and a Funeral, to name a few).

About Time focuses on one specific (though naturally, well-meaning and painfully awkward) character and his family, in which the men have the unique ability to time-travel. The script captures that quintessentially British rom-com feel…but that is because pretty much every line in said script sounds like it could (or should) have been spoken by a floppy-haired Hugh Grant. If we’re being honest, though, that’s what fans of Curtis’ work will love about it – that, and his highly relatable depiction of the slightly inappropriate, self-deprecating and endearing interactions within a whimsical middle-class English family. Regardless of whether you can personally relate to them, the family he creates is hilariously special, and it’s a breath of fresh air to see a romantic comedy split its screen-time between the romantic plotline and a more poignant familial one.

(Bill Nighy teaching his on-screen son, played by Domhnall Gleeson, how to time travel)

Yes, Curtis veteran Bill Nighy is back as the romantic lead’s father, but for more than to create a link for fans of Love Actually. I think he’s here because he brings a cheeky spirit to Curtis’ scripts that few other actors possess. On the other hand, Canadian sweetheart -and undeniable talent – Rachel McAdams seems misplaced in an otherwise laughably British cast. There’s something fundamentally different between British humor and Hollywood humor, so her presence in the film was slightly unconvincing to me (perhaps because I can’t imagine McAdams having anything to be self-deprecating or embarrassed about, which is crucial to this kind of romantic comedy). 

Ultimately though, the whole crowd at the cinema seemed pre-disposed and determined to enjoy the film before it even began. That, perhaps, was due to their faith in Curtis’ record for delivering much-loved romantic comedies. But as the screening progressed, both the script and the performances held their own, eliciting giggles (and tears – I was not the only one!) from the audience at regular intervals. Curtis pairs awkward under-dog love with genuinely moving familial bonding in a way that captures both our attention and our hearts. There seems to be something about a witty and love-filled film that puts everyone in a good mood, before and after a showing.

If you want a good laugh and maybe even a good cry, or if you’ve ever empathized with Bridget Jones, I recommend checking out About Time, opening in Montreal on November 8th!

Photo Credit: About Time Movie Poster

Bill Nighy Domhnall Gleeson About Time

Katherine is entering her final year at McGill University, and very excited to be getting more involved with Her Campus again this year. She is a dancer who in her spare time enjoys musical theatre, drinking tea, and, according to loved ones: spending too much time on Pinterest. Currently studying History and English Literature, Katherine hopes to eventually pursue a career in some kind of editing.