This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

It’s pretty safe to say that most McGill students have heard of SuWu or Apartment 200, a trendy restaurant and club respectively, owned by Zach Macklovitch. Both are great options for grabbing drinks with friends and meeting new people, but SuWu is unique in also offering brunch on the weekends from 11am to 3pm. Having enjoyed SuWu for dinner and drinks before (the fried chicken was delicious), my boyfriend and I checked out their brunch. 

The first great thing about SuWu (3581 St. Laurent) whether you’re going for brunch or for dinner and drinks is the decor. It’s basically a hipster’s paradise with high tables, tons of green plants and bookshelves decorated with assorted glass bottles. Mason jar lights hang from the ceiling and illuminate the room with a flattering light no matter what time of the day or night. 

Their brunch was absolutely delicious, and the options were much more interesting and fun than typical brunches in Montreal like Universel. I opted for the savoury pancake despite how tempting the Nutella Banana French Toast sounded, while Cam ordered the big salad and we decided to share an avocado toast on the side. 

I had never enjoyed a savoury pancake before, as I typically tend to want sweeter things. However, I decided to try something different and I definitely made the right decision. Everything in this dish worked together so well. That pancake was one of the most delicious things I’ve ever eaten. 

It was topped with rapini (a green leafy vegetable), wild mushrooms, parmesan cheese, parsnip chips, and a poached egg. Every bite was full of the unique, yet perfect combination of these ingredients created together. It was a heavy dish and I ended up sharing, but the pancake was truly decadent and heavenly. 

The big salad was also tasty, composed of arugula topped with salmon gravlax, boiled eggs, kale chips, avocado, tomato, cucumber, red pepper and radishes. The salad was fresh and tasty, but not as impressive as the pancake. 

Our shared side dish, the avocado toast was also impressive – although, not a whole lot can go wrong with an avocado toast. 

Overall, the meal was delicious, and our waitresses were generous with the refills of filtered coffee. I will definitely be back at SuWu for brunch again, and I recommend trying their pancake soon before their menu switches around (which it seems to do periodically). 

If you’re looking for a unique brunch location to take family or friends, definitely head to SuWu this weekend!

Image obtained from: http://totalmtl.com/suwu-montreal/suwu_1/

The rest are the author’s own.

Kelly is currently a Second Year with Advanced Standing at McGill University studying History, Business Management, and Psychology. She loves everything food related, and has her own food blog in the works.