This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Everyone needs a go-to Indian restaurant, and Guru is definitely now mine. With a great delivery service as well as a modern and upscale ambience, Guru is perfect for a night out or in. Located at 3464 Rue Saint Denis, Guru isn’t too far, and yet it’s definitely out of the McGill bubble. My roommates and I went there for a break from midterms in a search for comfort food on one of the colder nights of this winter. 

I had never been to Guru’s physical location, but I had ordered from them twice before and was pleased both times. I decided to switch my order up and try their tasting plate with two meat dishes, two vegetarian dishes, and dessert for $22, while my roommates opted for the vegetarian plate, Butter Chicken, and Salmon Tikka. 

Obviously, I also had to order a samosa in tribute to McGill’s obsession and to compare Guru’s options against the mass amount that get delivered to campus in cardboard boxes every day. I must say that while samosas are always satisfying and a great decision, Guru’s was far superior to the samosas that can be found on campus (albeit more expensive). It even came with chutney.

Incidentally, I originally tried to order two samosas, but the waitress told me they were really large so I changed my order to one (even though I secretly still wanted two). In retrospect, one was definitely enough because I couldn’t finish my tasting plate entirely. Indian food is deceivingly heavy and filling but certainly amazing. 

My tasting plate featured Lamb Curry, Butter Chicken, Saag Paneer, and (what I think was) Baigan Bharta, and was served with a generous portion of warm naan bread (which is probably one of the best things about Indian food). The Lamb Curry and Butter Chicken were both delicious and extremely filling, as were both the vegetarian dishes. Saag Paneer is a common Indian dish of spinach and cheese cooked with an onion sauce, while the Baigan Bharta is a smashed eggplant dish with onions, tomatoes, and spices. 

Both vegetarian dishes were yummy, and I’m glad that the tasting plate allowed me to enjoy dishes I had never had before. It was a fun treat. The butter chicken and lamb curry were definitely my favorite. After I became full from the main dishes, I had the Gulab Jamun for dessert, which is a dish of spongy milk balls soaked in rose scented syrup. Even though it may sound a little strange, it was delectable. 

Everything I tried was extremely tasty, and my roommates all enjoyed their meals as well. There’s something so rewarding about eating warm, spiced dishes with naan bread and good company. Guru is definitely going to remain my preferred Indian restaurant, and I’m sure I’ll also go there to satisfy my random samosa cravings. 

I recommend Guru to anyone looking for an upscale Indian restaurant with authentic, rich, and quality dishes.

Photos are the authors own. 

Kelly is currently a Second Year with Advanced Standing at McGill University studying History, Business Management, and Psychology. She loves everything food related, and has her own food blog in the works.