Rebecca Hallquist, Director for the West Island Student Theatre Association

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is a graduating student with some pretty cool artistic experiences under her belt. In addition to a permanently full class schedule, and recently completing a full year exchange in Sweden, this year Rebecca has taken on a directing role with a local non-profit student theatre company. So she’s answered a couple of questions on how she balances school and her musical passions and told us why we should come check out her directorial debut with this month’s WISTA production of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.

Program & Year: History Major and English Literature Minor, U3

Favourite class taken at McGill so far:  HIST 383, 18th c. British and Irish History with Professor Brian Cowan

Hometown: Unionville (GTA), Ontario

Why Montreal/McGill? 

My mother and her family used to live in Montreal and she graduated from McGill. There was that family tradition which first lured me in to the idea of attending McGill, but once I visited the city itself, I knew I had to live here – if only for four years.

What’s WISTA and how long have you been involved (and in what capacity)?

The West Island Student Theatre Association (or WISTA) is a not-for-profit community theatre company based out of Pointe-Claire in the West Island, that is only just about seven years old, but is already looking to expand its audience beyond suburbia. I have only been involved with the company since I moved to the city and, until now, was acting in their productions of Hairspray (June 2011) and Thoroughly Modern Millie (June 2012). For WISTA’s upcoming production of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, opening January 31st, I have been given the amazing opportunity to direct for the first time and have been marvellously supported by everyone in the company the entire way.

Why did you get involved with WISTA and what’s been the most special (your favourite) part of your involvement? 

One day, during those beginning months of first year, I was passing by the Drama Board in the Arts building hunting for auditions for various theatre productions when I saw the poster for auditions for Hairspray. I saw it wasn’t through McGill, but the fact that I lived near Lionel-Groulx metro at the time meant I was near the hub of buses out to the West Island, so distance didn’t really matter. I was drawn in by the show itself and the prospect of getting involved with English community theatre, and I haven’t looked back since.

Something about WISTA that I’ve really only been able to appreciate this year is what an excellent learning environment the company fosters. The company is continuously growing to fit the needs and desires of the membership and the community and the members are given an open and comfortable learning environment to grow. We strive to make our shows as professional as possible, but the desire for professionalism doesn’t compromise how each show is a learning experience for everyone. This one certainly has been for me. 

What is your advice to other college students when it comes to balancing rehearsals, school, and some semblance of a social life?

You may come off as a micro-managing, insane person, but really plan your time. You want to accomplish too many things in one day including having lunch with that friend you haven’t seen in ages? Schedule it out. I write down very specific “to do” lists and I’ve yet to forget anyone’s birthday or to pick up more hummus.

What do you do to relax in your downtime? 

Read fluff and watch YouTube videos. I wish I could give you a more glorious answer, but that’s the truth. When you’ve been rushing around for most of the day, I believe you need to give yourself some time to just turn your brain off or do something that really does not feel like work, so that you don’t tire yourself out. To me, that’s relaxation, no matter how many times I tell myself that I’m going to use that downtime to write to friends or do other things I’ve been putting off. 

Why should people come to see How to Succeed…

This show is about determination and the heights people can achieve if they are determined enough. It’s also hysterical because it’s a satire of the business world as it was in the 1960s, though it should be watched with a grain of salt. I have heard that if you enjoy T.V. shows like Mad Men, then this one is definitely up your alley – only, it’s funnier. And like I always say, if it’s good enough for Daniel Radcliffe, it’s good enough for me (new mantra, anyone?).  In all seriousness, I have not seen people work harder for a show before and I would love for whoever can come to see it to experience the great theatre determination can create.

If you want more info on the show click here for the facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/187426541462453/

And here for tickets: www.WISTA.ca/tickets

Katherine is entering her final year at McGill University, and very excited to be getting more involved with Her Campus again this year. She is a dancer who in her spare time enjoys musical theatre, drinking tea, and, according to loved ones: spending too much time on Pinterest. Currently studying History and English Literature, Katherine hopes to eventually pursue a career in some kind of editing.