The Perfect Outfits for your Internship & Summer Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

As we are all prepping for the next few weeks of endless hours at the library accompanied with copious amounts of coffee and iced cappucinos, we are also getting closer and closer to four months of freedom work, internships, summer school, studying for the MCAT/LSAT/GMAT or perhaps some or all simultaneously – considering the majority of McGill students are overachievers, the possibility of a packed summer like this is no surprise! Whether you’re going to be attending summer school to lighten up the course load in the fall, or interning at a promising start-up company, I hope you take these four months to explore and dive into all the hands-on experience and wonderful opportunities that are available beyond the formal education that we are offered at McGill. 

Today’s article/style blog is targeted towards all the ladies working in an office-like environment this summer. I’m going to share some pointers/ideas of some key pieces that you should invest in and inspiration for what to wear to your internship/job. I think some people are always under the impression that professional attire is boring and leaves no room for personal style or cute attire, but I beg to differ. Regardless of whether your job requires a strict dress code, or allows for more room for creativity, I’ve compiled a couple of sets to get your wardrobe ready for your summer plans!

WORK ESSENTIALS:There’s a few wardrobe essentials and key pieces that I believe every girl needs to invest in for their summer work wardrobe. These pieces are good staples to own in general, and will defenitely go a long way as you can style pretty much anything around these pieces.

1) A white blouse:A white blouse is the key piece to any professional/working girl’s wardrobe. You can easily throw a blazer over it, and look polished and office-ready. Pair it with some trousers, or tuck it into an appropiate-lengthed pencil skirt, and you’re good to go Monday morning! You can never have enough white blouses, but if you want to change it up a little, try out different colors (blue, grey, off-white), or different textures/materials (silk, chiffon, cotton). But at the end of the day, the classic crisp white button-up blouse is a must-have. 

2) Tailored pants A pair of tailored trousers is ideal for the days you just want to take a break from the feminine skirts, and want to embrace the androgynous look instead. Invest in a black pair, just because it will go with absolutely everything. 

3) BlazerA blazer is a mandatory presence in every working girl’s wardrobe. The most important thing in scouting for the perfect blazer is making sure that it fits well. A fitted blazer makes all the difference in pulling your entire outfit together, so make sure to purchase the blazer that’s fits just right!

4) Pencil SkirtPencil skirts are easy to pair with a crisp blouse and cardigan. There’s so many different styles and prints, but first and foremost, make sure to invest in neutral colors before splurging on any crazy patterned ones. Look for pencil skirts that are flattering and of the appropriate length, and choose colors that you know will co-ordinate with whatever blouses/tops/blazers you may be wearing them with.

5) Shift dressI absolutely adore shift dresses. They’re so easy to wear and even easier to accesorize. You can pair it with a waist belt, or you can accesorize with some simple jewellery like a dainty necklace, or some classic pearl earrings.

Give a girl the right pair of shoes, and she will conqeur the world! – Marilyn Monroe

6) Comfortable flatsWell you can’t be running errands, and walking to and from the office without the right choice of footwear! Invest in a cute pair of flats to get you to and from your destination, and there’s nothing I want to emphasize more than comfort and practicality.

7) Comfortable heelsOn days where you’re feeling a little fancier, a comfortable pair of heels will instantly dress up your outfit (and add some height!) Invest in a cute pair of comfortable heels, and you’ll be able to immediately vamp up your entire outfit

Here are some photo sets with ideas for what to wear: If you’re not a white blouse kind of gal, and your work allows for a little leeway in terms of your attire, definitely try out some of these fun blouses with spunky collars and prints; they will definitely add some personality to your entire ensemble.

Images Retrieved From: http://www.polyvore.com/wardrobe_essentials_for_work/set?id=119333509, http://www.polyvore.com/what_to_wear_an_internship/set?id=119332509, http://www.polyvore.com/what_to_wear_work_this/set?id=119332052

Political Science student, hopeless romantic, dreamer, and a firm believer that "those who are crazy enough to think that they change the world, are the ones who do"