Out of the Shadows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

“As many of you have noticed, there is no laptop,” claimed instrumental hip-hop artist DJ Shadow this weekend at SAT. Shadow, who has been in the hip-hop game for quite some time now, establishes himself by one incredibly defining factor: he ‘spins’ vinyl records and does not use a computer of any sort. DJ Shadow truly embodies what a “disc jockey” really is. The talent that this man has is truly unique, having nothing but records, a few recorded noises, and some knobs to deform the music to hip-hop perfection. Shadow is a musician who truly works as an artist. He paints intricately in beats, rhythms, and bass. Over the years, his music has evolved much with the changing paces of the electronic music world. Yet although he might adapt to trends, he still finds a way to keep to his base of hip-hop — while throwing colourful splashes of dub, trap, electro, and other popular electronic genres.

On Saturday, DJ Shadow explained to the audience that he was going to change things up and try something new. And that, he did. Shadow’s set was incredible! He of course played a few of his classics such as the popular song “Organ Donor” — which probably has one of the best riffs of an organ that you’ll ever hear — but he threw in a mix of all music and styles. There was an incredible vibe of excitement and awe as the audience watched a man perform one incredible concert with no computer to guide him.

Instrumental hip-hop is an incredibly versatile genre, one that is always offering new noises and new styles. If DJ Shadow is something you find yourself enjoying, there are plenty of other artists very similar to him such as Blockhead, DJ Spooky, and RJD2. Bummed you missed out on the Shadow show? Don’t fret! Montreal native and spinster Kid Koala is performing at Theatre Corona in November, while more electronic influenced artist Gramatik will be playing alongside dub-step favorite Bassnectar.

DJ Shadow, despite his name, outshone any DJ that I have seen simply based on the fact that his act was way more than pushing buttons. As a fellow vinyl enthusiast, I admire the man’s ability to truly embody the incredible sound quality of a record. His set was powerful, versatile, and unique. Like any great artist, those who are passionate produce the best work, and Shadow is certainly a man with great passion.

Photo Credit

Olivia Lifman is in her final year at McGill University, where she is completing an Honours BA in English Literature with a minor concentration in International Relations. Passionate about writing, reading, and the Arts, she is the Editor-in-Chief of both Her Campus McGill and McGill's English Department's Undergraduate Academic Journal, The Channel, as well as a literacy tutor. She has coached tennis for five years and is an avid haf-marathon runner. Olivia is very much looking forward to extending McGill's campus beyond its university borders and into the city of Montreal at large as she works more closely with Her Campus this year.