Oatmeal Mornings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

It’s the time of year when every class seems like a rehearsal of an alternative orchestra that performs using only sneezes, sniffles, and coughs. The library rustles with the sound of throat-clearing, and people start raiding the washrooms for toilet paper to blow their noses. Different faculties seem to breed individual strains of viruses and entire departments are felled simultaneously.

On a cold, sick morning, oatmeal is the perfect breakfast. Pretend someone else is making it for you. Better yet, guilt someone who has escaped the seasonal colds into making it for you!

Eat it plain; comfort food par excellence.

Fancy it up with fruit and other mix-ins.

Eat it in your pajamas! 

Eat it for dinner, if you feel like it.

Plain Old Oatmeal
• 1 C water
• ½ C rolled oats
• A pinch of salt
• Sugar, honey, or maple syrup to taste (optional)

Bring the water to a boil. Add the oatmeal, lower the heat, and cook, stirring, until the oatmeal has absorbed all the water. Add the salt and any sweetener you want; stir, and serve.

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
• 1 C water
• ½ C rolled oats
• a pinch of salt
• ¼ C mashed baked pumpkin, squash, or sweet potato
• 1 T coconut sugar, brown sugar, or maple syrup
• ¼ tsp cinnamon
• 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
• 1 T chopped nuts, such as hazelnuts or almonds

Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the oatmeal, lower the heat, and cook, stirring, until the oatmeal has absorbed all the water. Add the salt and pumpkin and stir for about a minute, until everything is well blended. Add the sugar and spices and stir. Serve topped with the nuts.

Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal
• 1 C water
• ½ C rolled oats
• A pinch of salt
• 1 T maple syrup
• 1 T peanut butter
• ½ banana, sliced

Bring the water to a boil. Add the oatmeal, lower the heat, and cook, stirring, until the oatmeal has absorbed all the water. Add the salt.

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
• 1 C water
• ½ C rolled oats
• 1 apple, finely diced
• A pinch of salt
• 1/3 tsp cinnamon
• 1-2 T raisins

Bring the water to a boil. Add the oatmeal and apple, lower the heat, and cook, stirring, until the oatmeal has absorbed all the water. Add the salt and stir. Mix in the sugar, cinnamon, and raisins. Stir for a minute to let the raisins heat up, then serve.