This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days. Unfortunately, I have just had one of those days this week.

Sunday night had arrived, and I was knee deep in the world of physical chemistry, trying to remember what atoms were. My bedroom floor was scattered with cheat sheets of graphs and formulas, while my psychology textbook waited in the corner, reminding me that once Monday was over, there was more work to be done. By 10 pm, I was exhausted, filled to the brim with knowledge about enthalpy that I had never asked to learn. I decided it was time to go to bed, but to first check over my calendar for the week.

And that’s when I saw it. Sunday, October 6: “HC Article due”.  

Amidst studying for my midterms and juggling three extra-curriculars, I had completely forgotten to write my article. I frantically contacted my editor, apologizing profusely for having forgotten, telling her I would be sure to get my article to her the following day.

After a year of being with Her Campus, and a whole sixteen years in the school system, I had never completely forgotten a due date. Some may even wonder whether this is a new low point for me.

However, the point of this is not to say that my life is harder than anyone else’s, but to remind every person that we all have those moments. Those moments where we are overly busy, stressed or forgetful. Those moments where there’s just so much going on, something becomes neglected. It is during these moments we need to remember that we are not perfect, nor do these types of things make us stupid or lesser.

Especially in university, we tend to be made to feel like we must have everything together, and that the slightest missteps have serious repercussions. And while sometimes this is the case, it is important to remember that we all have such moments of absent-mindedness, and we can usually find an extremely kind editor who understands.

In these moments, all we really can do is try to fix our mistake, take a deep breath, move on and do better next time.

Images Obtained From:

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/forgetful-age-mobiles-replacing-memories/1281842

https://www.5minutesformom.com/77464/gripped-by-perfectionism/no-one-is-perfect-that-why-pencils-have-erasers/

Kelsey is in her last year at McGill majoring in Physiology, and enjoys reading, hiking and watching Netflix.