Montreal’s Snow Village

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Looking for something to kick-off the winter semester? Canada’s—and North America’s—first snow village officially opens in Montreal’s Park Jean-Drapeau on January 18th and runs until March 31st. The unique village boasts an ice and snow replica of the city of Montreal, and it is the first of its kind to be set up in a major metropolitan area. The village is a quick three-minute walk from the Jean-Drapeau metro station.

Based on a Finnish concept, Montreal’s snow village offers its visitors winter sports, mazes and slides. It also features an ice hotel, six traditional igloos, a heated glass igloo, an ice chapel where couples can get married, an ice-bar with a terrace seating up to two hundred and fifty guests, as well as a restaurant for sixty people. There will even be five hot tubs! While a three-course dinner is a bit pricey at $59 per person, lunch is a reasonable $16 per person with the option of adding dessert for $4.

The snow village is open from 9:00am to midnight Sunday through Wednesday and from 9:00am to 3:00am Thursday through Saturday. With its natural light during the day and special architectural light effects at night, the village will be worth a visit at any time of the day. A weekday pass for students is only $11.50, and a weekend pass is $15. Tickets can be bought on site or online.

Worried about the temperature of this icy accommodation? Thanks to snow’s remarkable insulating properties, you can easily warm up to the idea: the interior temperature of the village buildings remains between -2 and -5 degrees. 

Visit their website for more information! 

Olivia Lifman is in her final year at McGill University, where she is completing an Honours BA in English Literature with a minor concentration in International Relations. Passionate about writing, reading, and the Arts, she is the Editor-in-Chief of both Her Campus McGill and McGill's English Department's Undergraduate Academic Journal, The Channel, as well as a literacy tutor. She has coached tennis for five years and is an avid haf-marathon runner. Olivia is very much looking forward to extending McGill's campus beyond its university borders and into the city of Montreal at large as she works more closely with Her Campus this year.
Sofia Mazzamauro, born and raised in Montreal, is majoring in English Cultural Studies and minoring in Communication and Italian Studies. Along with being the editor-in-chief of Her Campus McGill, she is a writer for Leacock’s online magazine’s food section at McGill University and the editor of the Women’s Studies Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Journal. After graduation, she aspires to pursue a career in lifestyle magazine writing in Montreal.