The McGill Freshman Blog: My Tour of McGill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

The beautiful weather for Saint Patrick’s Day weekend got me thinking about a time exactly a year ago, when I was touring McGill’s campus (the weather was unfortunately less beautiful; the campus, almost as pretty). I certainly wasn’t witnessing the party-going, tacky green-wearing, day-drinking side of McGill, but I took for granted that it existed. Really, I realized that tour told me almost nothing about how I would be living this year or even about how things would work academically. So, this is my compilation of a true McGill tour that you can take from the comfort of your own home and it goes out to the pre-collegiettes and pre-McGillians, lame wordplay included.

Be prezjudiced, sorta
The only residences you will ever see on a campus tour are the ones closest to the main part of campus, usually RVC. But there are lots of diverse rez choices at McGill, and for better or worse, most of the stereotypes about them are true. My advice? Read forums. Studentawards and CollegeConfidential both have decent info about the different cultures and styles of rez. But don’t jump to conclusions, they are exaggerated and you will find friends, learn to navigate the city, and eat satisfactorily no matter where you live. Tons of people get their last choice (cough, Solin, cough) and end up completely happy with it, appreciating its sense of community. Still take your time to pick though, because everything from the food you eat to the length of your lease varies greatly from one rez to another.

It’s politicrazy
I probably started McGill at one of the weirdest times ever. I was welcomed with a strike, greeted with a protest involving riot police, and seated beside a building occupation. There are tons of sides to every story, and I won’t get into the politics of it all. Just don’t let the political craziness detract you from choosing McGill. If you’re interested in politics, journalism or activism, it might even be a bonus. No room for apathy on this campus.

Grading
McGill is supposedly a tough school, meaning your grades will somehow be lower than if you went to your other top picks, preventing you from going to grad school, finding a job, or reaching success in life. Relax. It might be tough but like any other university, people do get As, some classes are harder (and easier) than others, and life does go on. Don’t let fear of failure keep you from coming here. The academic opportunities that come with going to a large, research school (a.k.a. a difficult one) more than compensate for the extra effort.            

While the history of McGill might be interesting and the size of the biggest lecture hall might interest your parents (it’s relatively small), try and get a feel of the school. If you know someone here, visit and stay in her dorm. If not, or if you can’t visit at all, I encourage reading stuff by actual McGill students, like this article. Happy touring, virtual or otherwise!

Photo Credit: Elena Abbandonato

Sofia Mazzamauro, born and raised in Montreal, is majoring in English Cultural Studies and minoring in Communication and Italian Studies. Along with being the editor-in-chief of Her Campus McGill, she is a writer for Leacock’s online magazine’s food section at McGill University and the editor of the Women’s Studies Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Journal. After graduation, she aspires to pursue a career in lifestyle magazine writing in Montreal.