Karen Chow, MCSS Co-President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Karen is a U3 student, double majoring in Chemistry and Sociology, and a campus superwoman if I ever saw one. She is the Conference Chair for the National Integrative Research Conference (NiRC) – a conference that she’s been involved in for the past three years.  She’s also Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator and Peer Educator at the CaPS office. In September, Karen took up the position of co-president of the McGill Chinese Students’ Society (MCSS). Wait…there’s more! Karen is a dedicated Erhu (Chinese fiddle) player, having performed at a number of cultural events in the recent past, and most incredibly, she pulls all of this off with a bright smile!

Describe your McGill experience thus far, in 6 words or less.

Experiences that will last a lifetime.

How do you balance academics and extracurriculars?

I like to write and label everything – in my planner, on my electronic calendar, and on the whiteboard calendar on my bedroom wall. If I’m really pressed for time, I like to split my responsibilities equally to span the time I have left. I also really like writing sticky-note reminders (I have them in all shapes, sizes, and colors!) I’m only human too and sometimes things do slip my mind, but I try to do my very best to make up for my slipups, however minor they may be. If I say I will do something, I will.

What do you like to do in your spare time to unwind and relax?

I like to listen to music; it’s surprising how an upbeat song can turn my day around. I also like to read (especially biographies and historical fiction) and watch documentaries. Not only is finding out about other people’s passions and the struggles they’ve overcome a chance to learn something new, it’s also really inspirational and motivates me to work harder to become a better person myself. My biggest fear is probably to be a disappointment to the people around me. My mom keeps reminding me that nobody’s perfect and there will always be someone “better” than you, but I think that the important thing is to recognize the good qualities of others and apply them to yourself. As long as you are being proactive and constantly look for ways to work harder and improve yourself, that’s all that matters.

What’s your proudest accomplishment in or outside of McGill?

My proudest accomplishment in undergrad would probably be my contributions in all my extracurricular activities. Being involved in MCSS, NiRC, and the CaPS office has made me fully aware of my strengths and weaknesses – areas that I’m good at and qualities that I’m lacking in and should look to improve on. I’ve also been able to meet people from a variety of disciplines and backgrounds. Hearing about their goals and accomplishments is also a source of motivation for myself. I’m also very happy to have made so many amazing friends at McGill. Prior to coming to university, I was told this is when I would meet “the friends that would last a lifetime.” This is so true – I would not trade the friends I’ve met these past years for anything in the world.

If you were world dictator for a day, what’s the first thing that you’d do?

I think everyone should have a chance to eat together! Or at least with the people they care about and love. Everyone’s so busy these days that it’s so rare to be able to sit down together, have a good meal, catch up, and just enjoy each other’s company. Four words: Good food, good company. What more can you ask for?

Who are some of your personal heroes? Why?

·      My great grandmother & grandmother – These are the two wonderful people who raised me and I have the greatest respect for them. They’ve worked so hard since they stepped foot in Canada and I could not be more proud to be a fourth-generation Chinese-Canadian because of them. I love learning about Chinese-Canadian history because the struggles and barriers that my great-great grandfather’s generation had to overcome were immense. And it’s thanks to their persistence and hard work that I’m here and have the same opportunities as everyone else.

·      My parents – Without their support and encouragement I would be lost.

·      Sheryl Sandberg – Hearing her talk and reading her book was just really inspirational.

·      Adrienne Clarkson – I admire her for being the first immigrant and Chinese-Canadian to be Governor General. Her strong commitment to her work goals to promote diversity is tremendous.  

Favourite quote?

I don’t remember where I first saw this (I think maybe Twitter or something), but I have loved it ever since:

“Work for a cause, not for applause. Live life to express, not to impress. Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt.”