How To: Stay Healthy This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Summer is officially right around the corner, which means it’s time to enjoy the extra free time and beautiful weather! If you, like many others, have plans to either get back in shape or to push yourself to do more to keep yourself healthy this summer, be sure to take advantage of all that summer has to offer. Keep in mind that the school year can be stressful, time-consuming, and worst of all, cold! So here are some tips to make the most out of your summer in order to get fit and stay healthy:

• Start the day off right! So many people skip breakfast during the school year because they insist that they don’t have enough time before class to throw something together. And even though everyone should be eating something, even if it’s just a banana, after waking up to kick start the metabolism, summer is the perfect opportunity to do something a little more elaborate. Boost your protein intake by making an omelet with fresh vegetables, by adding some peanut butter to your whole wheat toast, or by drinking a glass of milk instead of orange juice to complement your meal.
  • With all that extra time, try hitting up a farmer’s market to pick up fresh produce. Check out HC McGill’s article on Montreal’s markets.  College students rely so heavily on take-out, ramen, and frozen meals throughout the school year that we owe it to ourselves to buy fresh fruits and vegetables whenever possible. Not only is fresh produce better for you, but you’ll save a lot of extra money by avoiding sky high restaurant prices. Besides, summer is a great time to try out some new, healthy recipes!
  • Decide on the time of the day that works best for you to incorporate exercise. If you’re a morning person, make it your routine to go for a run or to hit the gym every single morning, so that it becomes almost second nature to include exercise in your day. 
  • Speaking of exercise, don’t be afraid to switch it up a little this summer! If you’re used to trudging to the gym during the school year and doing the same thirty minute treadmill run every time, try going running up Mt. Royal or take a bike ride down by Old Port. Or, look for workout videos on Youtube and do them under the sun. Not only will being exposed to sunshine put you in a good mood, but it will also add a dose of Vitamin D to your day, which will help your body absorb calcium and maintain a functional immune system.
  • Don’t forget sunscreen lotion! Young adults are known to be pretty negligent when it comes to skin protection, especially because so many people assume that only older people get skin cancer. But even being exposed to the sun for fifteen to thirty minutes calls for the use of sunscreen. Skin tends to be delicate and very sensitive, so take good care of it! The future you will thank you for it.
  • Similarly, protect your eyes too! Don a pair of sunglasses to avoid damage to your eyes. The cornea is similar to the outer layer of skin, and if exposed to the sun for too long, it can get inflamed the way skin does as well. Bonus: the right pair will make you look oh-so-stylish!
  • Finally, remember that even though summer is often a time for fun and indulgence, the body responds best to moderation. Whether that be in terms of food, sleep, or alcohol, be sure to treat your body well. Eat healthily but don’t deprive yourself, sleep in but don’t forget to enjoy the incredible weather, and keep in mind that alcohol can be more caloric than you might think! That being said, summer only comes once a year, so make the most out of the next few months!
Images retrieved from:
http://fitbie.msn.com/sites/de…