This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

By Alexandra Faure

I’ll be honest with you; I’ve grown to be excited about Halloween. In fact, and this might still be the child in me, I’ve only found out recently that Halloween was not a holiday. In my defense a holiday always seems to create a buzz the air, shelves full of decorations, and a strong sense of anticipation. Candy in either bunny, Santa or pumpkin shapes appeared magically in everyone’s carts at the grocery stores. Halloween was no exception. When party stores start renting locations to install their costumes, makeup, fake tombstones and smoke machines it must mean that Halloween is officially right around the corner. To me, that’s a holiday (too bad we don’t get a day off work & school!)

To me Halloween IS a holiday. Let’s face it, we all think of Halloween as a holiday because we still enjoy it. Sure our excitement is not the same as when we were five years old when we had to decide what princess or superhero we should be. But as years progress, the question isn’t anymore “Will I be Tinkerbell or Cinderella?” It’s become “Am I too old to trick or treat?”

When the answer to that question is “yes”, it’s okay because Halloween isn’t just created for children. Halloween has become a holiday equally enjoyed by adults and definitely the average college kid. We can go to costume themed parties, haunted houses and horror movies. Growing up I feel like I appreciate Halloween even more than I did as a child. Maybe because there are so many other entertainment options we can enjoy. Or maybe its’ because deep down, Halloween allows us for one day, to return to our childlike state and pretend to be someone else. For once, we can think of something else other than midterms, bills, cleaning the apartment, and money. All these worries can momentarily be paused and forgotten as we shriek in excitement and horror at the scary clown with the blood soaked knife. Halloween serves as our release. For a night we can dress up as anyone, scare each other and laugh about it later.

On October 31th, don’t hold back. Deck your walls with orange and black, spider webs, bones and bowls of candy. Put on your costume and enjoy the crushing of the leaves when you go out and celebrate Halloween!

Pictures from:
– http://www.blogto.com/arts/201…

– http://www.planimage.com/blog/…