Future Freshmen! Listen Up!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

It’s that time of year again, when high school seniors are receiving their acceptance letters, going on campus tours and making “life-changing” decisions that will determine their futures.

It’s that time of the season when you’re sitting in class, and prospective students and their families walk into your classroom like we’re zoo animals on their campus tours. Studying in the library, I smell the fresh blood and all I can mouth to them is “Run.”

“Help me.”

However, I must admit, it is an exciting time of ones life, and here’s my guide to picking the perfect university for you, with just a few pieces of advice from experience.

Take advantage of campus tours, and collect as many memorabilia as you can. They’re free, and cute.

Do your research, and go on those dreadful campus tours. They are long, but helpful. You get to feel the “vibe” of the school, and you get to ask all your questions about credits, schedules, and frosh… Just ask! Chances are the student ambassadors are there to answer all your questions and help you choose your final school. Listen to what the current students say – they know what’s really going on behind the whole “façade” the school puts on.

Like me, I’d be more than happy to answer all your questions – also, this is what happens when you get way too invovled…

Do not let your parents or your friends influence your choice. In the end, you are the one who is going to spend 3-4 years every day in this school, so the final decision is entirely up to you! Thank goodness I didn’t choose my school based on where all my friends went. If I had, I wouldn’t have been able to meet all my new friends, and get out of my comfort zone. It’s a scary move, but it’s made me more confident than ever. In the end, you’ll see your old friends if you keep in touch, and your parents will support you no matter what!

Once you’re accepted and are mentally preparing yourself for your freshman year: don’t freak out. Be happy, and don’t be nervous because you’re not alone on what feels like a sinking ship of anxiety and excitement. Talk to people, be confident and meet new people. Chances are you’ll be meeting your future bestie or future roommate! Get involved. One of my biggest regrets is letting my nerves get the best of me. I was too scared to get involved, when I should have tried!

Build your network, and not just with firms during networking sessions. Your classmates! They’re your future employers and recruiters, so create relationships with people from all around the world, because maybe one day you may vacationing and need a place to stay! Why not call up your buddy from IB class?

Talk to your advisors, get to know them. They are your go-to people when it comes to setting your “academic journey”.

Talk to your professors! Who cares! If they’re cold and unwilling to help you, then move on. However, there are professors who genuinely want to see you succeed, and you can find a mentor in one of them – so important in life!

Surround yourself with a strong support system, because times will get hard and frustrating, but with the right people encouraging you, you’ll blow through those midterm blues with no problem. Listen to that annoying adult advice, because chances are they’ve experienced far more than you. As repetitive as their “inspirational” and “motivational” speeches are, they’re often true at times. You experience something, and you think back to the time Uncle Tom told you about the same situation and go “god damn it, why didn’t I listen to what he said!” It happens, but you know, you have to learn for yourself because we’re stubborn creatures.

Talk to older students, they know the hacks around the school, the best places to study, hidden gems, and the best spots in the city to party or grab the best cup of coffee! They know which courses are easy or tough, which professors grade hard and which professors teach with passion. Don’t be so intimidated by them, they were once in your shoes and want to share their wisdom.

I’m not saying don’t challenge yourself, but don’t go taking a Corporate Finance class in your first year. Settle in, your transition to university is impressive enough. You want to use your first year to make friends, get to know your school and your city, and build your confidence to enter your second year and the rest of your university classes in full force!

Take full advantage of your first year. One thing I envy about a lot of my friends at McGill: they got that “freshman experience” or that “rez life”. I will never be able to experience anything like it, and from what I hear, it’s many students’ most unforgettable year.

Finally, don’t be so hard on yourself. If you get a bad grade after being an A-grade student your whole life, don’t worry, it happens. There are far worse faces of adversity in life than a 50% on a midterm. It’s all about how you dust it off and how you move forward. Don’t focus on your GPA, in the end, it’s just a number. Gain experience and work hard, and everything else will fall in place. Trust me.

Wherever you go, all will work out!

Images obtained from

https://buffer.com/gifs-for-social-media

http://imgur.com/gallery/LQQRMN7

https://www.tenor.co/view/rory-gilmoregirls-graduation-gif-5407245