The Future is Female: Aspiring Scientist Ashley McFarquhar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Being a scientist is not a gendered profession but the majority of scientists are men, because for centuries women’s participation in the field of science has been restricted. Today, it is inspiring to see female students study physics, biochemistry, neuroscience and more, and ultimately to become scientists. I interviewed a neuroscience student at McGill: Ashley McFarquhar and we engaged in a discussion about her neuroscience course, extracurricular activities and her thoughts about gender inequality in the field of science.

Melis Çalhan for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): Hello Ashley! What are you studying at McGill and what are your post-graduation plans?

Ashley McFarquhar (AM): I’m enrolled in the Honors Neuroscience program at McGill. My post-graduation plans are to apply for a medical school or to pursue a MD/PHD program in mental illness research.

HC McGill: Can you share a memory of one of your lab experiences?

AM: I worked under a post-doctoral student in a biochemistry lab. She was awesome because she kind of took me under her wing and showed me how to work in a lab and she added my name to her academic paper, so my name was published. I think it is important that women embrace other women in lab settings. Working with her was beneficial for my resume and also to gain vital field experience. It made me realize that I wanted to pursue clinical research if I ever become a doctor.

HC McGill: When you achieve your goals, what would you want to change in your field?

AM: I would like to make being a doctor a less gendered position, because I feel like the only way to really change how female patients are treated is to have female doctors. I always found that when I go to a female doctor she listens to my problems more, she has more empathy than male doctors – that’s my personal experience anyway. Male doctors often tended to dismiss certain problems, telling me that I’m overreacting or that I’m not supposed to worry about it and that whatever problem I have is not that big of a deal. This can lead to misdiagnosis, because often men don’t understand what women endure to the same extent that only other women can understand!

HC McGill: Other than studying to achieve your goals, what else do you do?

AM: I’m on the recruitment committee for Relay for Life for the McGill Students Cancer Society. We help to plan the annual fundraiser for the committee of cancer society every year. This event goes on for over 12 hours, you stay up all night with your friends and raise money. It is really great because my mom had cancer when I was in high school so this is my way giving back. I also volunteer at the daycare centre with little babies. I don’t even feel like it’s volunteering, they just make me happy.

In addition, I’m part of a sorority on campus: Alpha Omicron Pi (AOII). I think that is the extracurricular that has had the biggest impact and helped me grow as a person because during my first year I was very quiet and shy but being in a sorority, surrounded by inspiring women that support you unconditionally helped me reach further for my goals. I applied for neuroscience, I applied for honors and I wouldn’t have done any of these if my sisters hadn’t been encouraging me and telling me how smart and confident I am.

HC McGill: Do you think that people underestimate you because you are women, or even due to the fact that you’re in a sorority?

I feel like once people get to know me they realize that I’m not an intimidating girl because I have a very high voice and so I found that often people think I’m something I’m not. Being in a sorority, there are misconceptions about that. The most recent experience for me was that I was doing an interview for a lab and the PI just assumed automatically during our interview that I was scared of mice and blood. I don’t know where he got that idea from. Basically, our interview turned into a lecture where he told me that I should find out if I’m scared of dead bodies and blood before I apply to med school, because it would be too late once I get there. I told him: “I think I’m fine, I watch a lot of horror movies you know?” He didn’t believe me and I asked him if he was asking this to every single candidate or just me. I’m trying to not let these kinds of experiences stop me.

HC McGill: What would be your advice be for aspiring young women in science?

AM: My advice to girls studying science like me, or just girls at university, in general, would be to stop competing with other girls and to just be themselves. In our society, we are thought to compete with somebody else. There is always “the smartest girl” or “the prettiest girl” but just be yourself, stop competing with other girls and help other girls out whether it is just sharing your notes or tutoring your friend. We are all in this together, we all want to make a difference in the world and you can’t do that by tearing other people down, you can only do that by building each other up.

Images are subject’s own.