Fourth Year Diaries: Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Happy midterm season, McGill collegiettes! Hopefully papers and midterms are finally starting to wind down for most of you, or are at least coming to a brief pause… just in time for you to take a breather and think about everyone student’s favorite holiday: Halloween! While I am sure, for many of you, costume ideas have been on the back-burner for quite some time, I have been trying on ears and masks for a month! For those of you who aren’t quite as eager as I am, I’ve prepared a list of last minute costume shops that you can hit up this week before dressing up and letting loose (finally!) this weekend.

Imagine le Fun: Up until my first year at McGill, Halloween had been a pretty tame affair, which generally included dressing up as something cute like a fairy and going trick or treating, or watching scary movies with friends. When I came to university I decided that it was time to grow up and buy a big girl, slutty costume. My friends and I trekked all the way up St. Laurent to Imagine le Fun and bought costumes worthy of a university Halloween party. Although this store is a fairly far walk out of the ghetto, they have a huge variety of costumes in all sizes. They also have full stock of ears, masks, and all other costumes accessories. 

Eva B: While I have never personally visited this costume shop, I’ve received rave reviews from friends who have. Eva B is great for buying as well as renting costumes. Renting may be the better option for those of you who don’t want to invest in an Alice in Wonderland costume that will sit in your closet after one use this year. Eva B is located on St. Laurent just past Sherbrooke, making it a convenient place to visit if you have some time between classes this week! 

Corner of McGill College and St. Catherine Street: I stumbled across this store today as I was picking up the finishing touches for my costumes. My sister visited this store last week and said they have a wide variety of costumes, and it also just a five minute walk away from campus. This store is not a permanent place of business on St. Catherine Street, but is set up for the Halloween holiday season and then will shut down after October 31. I recommend visiting this place for any last minute costume needs — but be warned that there are lots of spooky pop-outs throughout the store!

I hope that this brief list of a few great costume places helps all of you last minute costume shoppers to find something perfect for the upcoming festivities. If a full on costume isn’t your style, I advise you all to remember the wise words of Cady Heron from Mean Girls: “In girl-world Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress as a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it. The hardcore girls just wear lingerie and some form of animal ears.” So go ahead and throw on some ears and have a blast!

Photo Source: http://blog.chesterniteowl.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Im-a-mouse-duh.jpg

Olivia Lifman is in her final year at McGill University, where she is completing an Honours BA in English Literature with a minor concentration in International Relations. Passionate about writing, reading, and the Arts, she is the Editor-in-Chief of both Her Campus McGill and McGill's English Department's Undergraduate Academic Journal, The Channel, as well as a literacy tutor. She has coached tennis for five years and is an avid haf-marathon runner. Olivia is very much looking forward to extending McGill's campus beyond its university borders and into the city of Montreal at large as she works more closely with Her Campus this year.