The Exchange Diaries: How to Live Each Day to The Fullest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

As an exchange student, you live by several “rules” which actually make you live a happier life. They also help you build stronger relationships and live life to its fullest. What I don’t understand is why, after exchange experiences, people go back to their old bad habits. Few show signs of how their exchange experience has changed them for life. 

For example, one of the things you do when living abroad is push yourself further. Your boundaries, judgements and minor fears all seem like a past memory you want to erase. Why was I like that? Why did I do that two, three or five years ago? How could I have been such an idiot? These are just some questions you ask yourself nearly on a daily basis, but when you do, you convince yourself that you’ve changed, because a similar situation came up during your exchange experience and you somehow were able to get through it flawlessly. As well as pushing yourself mentally, your body becomes a battleground between sleep and travelling or studying. I went on a pub-crawl on Thursday and ice fishing on Friday (until 6 am on Saturday). At 8 am that same day, I had to be at Roddick Gates to go to Quebec City for Carnival. Without any sleep, I live through the day like any other student, do crazy things, go clubbing and am the only one dancing my a** off. Why? #YOLO. I do realise that that’s the worst answer possible for that question, so please take it sarcastically. I actually hate hashtags and my Twitter account has dust and spiderwebs due to the lack of use I give it.

Nevertheless, I know that my time here is limited, so I do live each minute like nobody else. I enjoy everything I do: class, trips, dancing, catching up with friends… There isn’t one thing I do that I dislike, and when I do, I think of the positive or the useful side of whatever it is I’m doing. There’s not a second to lose. This actually improves your friendships and your relationship with, well, anyone. There’s always a smile drawn on my face, there’s always time to help out a friend and there’s always time for a quick coffee between friends. I went to an unknown country alone; I met the other exchange student from my university here. Therefore, it’s like jumping off a cliff, not knowing if you’re going to fall on water or on solid ground. When you do meet people, you will do anything to spend time with them. This does not mean you’re desperate. To the contrary, because the moment you find someone is not of your liking, you immediately back off. Again, you’re here for six months or, if you’re lucky, a year. You don’t want to spend your precious time with someone who isn’t going to give you anything other than problems and a negative attitude. In other words, you learn how to manage your time wisely when if comes to friendships and acquaintances. It might sound rude, maybe even mean. Nevertheless, we should all live by this. Back home, I would avoid behaving like this and all I got was heartache and problems. I would stick by and defend people who didn’t deserve it and after I did they would leave me, because that was all they wanted me for. Now, here, I’ve learned to choose my battles and that’s the most important lesson I’ve learned so far. 

My first two weeks here were especially rocky ones. Not only did I have problems with the place I was staying, but I also had no one to talk to. This builds character: fight or flight. This also helps you learn about yourself and allows you to change whatever it is you don’t like. Therefore, you truly are yourself; it’s one of the few times in your life you don’t look for excuses for your behaviour, but rather find reasons for why you behave the way you do. One of the few times in life where you can answer so many questions with “I’m just not like that”. This is also why you will build stronger relationships. The people you mingle with are the people you want to be with, because you connect, because they think like you do, because they give you the experience you want to live, because you fully trust them, because, because, because… If a person doesn’t call you, doesn’t text you, and has been uncommunicative, don’t sweat it. If that person doesn’t want to be with you, you don’t want to be with that person either. 

Other than that, life is much more exciting. Adrenaline rush with every trip you plan, any activity you do, willing to try new things and taste new food. You fall while skiing, sledding or simply walking, as icy pavements are new things for you. There’s no such thing as being tired or down – it’s an attitude. I will always remember Martini’s 2012 slogan: “Luck is an attitude”. They couldn’t be more right. There are a lot of people who complain about their lives not being exciting or interesting. My answer is: your life is as interesting or exciting as you want it to be. I’ve met people in the library; the most remarkable one was through post-its on each other’s desks. Face your fears and live. That’s my best advice. I’m not saying it’s easy or a quick process, but usually the worst step is the first one. I’ve had the time of my life so far because of this. 

If you ever see an icy slope, do me a favour: leave you bags and slide down once or twice. It’s fun, it’s outgoing and it’ll brighten your day for sure!

Live. Love. Laugh

Photos Retrieved From: Interstude and Personal.