Eat Your Bs to Get Your As

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

October at McGill is a time when my academic life becomes all-consuming. In past years, autumn’s daunting season of midterms and papers has turned into one of skipping meals, settling for an exclusively Redpath Tim Hortons diet, or making a fast and pathetic dinner of microwave popcorn and peanut-butter crackers (admit it, you’ve done it). Eating “properly” had become yet another thing to check off my ever-growing to-do list, and I would put my health on the back-burner so long as the calories I ate kept me staring groggily at countless pages of readings for a few more precious hours.

Yet, even as words merged under my sleep-deprived eyes, I knew that I should be more vigilant about what I was eating–especially with such a heavy workload. Food gives the body the energy it needs to function. It only follows that if we neglect to ensure that what we pump into our bodies is of the right quality or quantity, we will just not feel as healthy as we could. And that makes it difficult to maintain such a hectic study schedule. I probably would have been able to face those far too neon sticky notes a little longer had I maintained my normally healthy habits.

To maximize our energy during exams, there are certain foods that are better than others. Dr. Gillian McKeith, the holistic nutritionist and presenter of the TV series You Are What You Eat, emphasizes that, “the most important nutrients required for energy production are the B complex group of vitamins.” When we are deficient in our Bs, we experience energy slumpswhich is not exactly a recipe for earning As. Popping a supplement, or two, however, is not the only way to make sure we get these essential nutrients. Here are some of food’s tastiest and simplest energy superstars set out by Dr. McKeith: 

Sweet Potatoes
Packed with vitamins A and C as well as fiber
Ensure energy supply is constant by detoxifying and balancing hormone and blood sugar levels
Bonus: in season–one of autumn’s best produce
*See my recipe for sweet potato hummus at the end of the article

Peaches
An instant pick-me-up–easily assimilated by the body
Contain a whack of potassium
Beta-carotene content helps protect against cancer and heart diseases, aids eyesight

Sprouts
High concentrate of antioxidants
Contain all trace minerals
Great source of protein, enzymes and fiber

Broccoli, Asparagus and Spinach
Awesome range of Bs
Contain magnesium and iron: energy-boosting nutrients
Broccoli is also a good source of coenzyme Q10, “a critical nutrient for energy production at a cellular level,” according to Dr. McKeith

Grapes
High magnesium content (this mineral helps in the process of converting energy into glucose the body can use)
Try them frozen for a treat!

Grains
Slowly release sugar, giving a steady flow of energy instead of a quick high followed by a crash
Excellent source of Bs–especially quinoa, which contains all nine essential amino acids

Oats
Helps keep blood glucose levels even to maintain concentration and alertness
Packed with Bs

Parsley
Nutrient powerhouse!
High levels of B12
More vitamin C than citrus fruits
Just about all other known nutrients

Seaweed
Highest digestible source of all minerals and energy-boosting vitamins B and C

Sunflower Seeds
Packed with magnesium, iron, copper, protein, Bs, essential fatty acids, and zinc
Instant energy pick-me-up!

Put Down the Coffee and Pick Up Herbal Tea
Caffeine causes blood pressure to rise–leaving you anxious and restless
Although a stimulant, it overworks the adrenal glands, tiring out both them and you
Dr. McKeith says it can stimulate skin aging
Reduces absorption of iron and zinc up to 50%—which can compromise the immune system

A simple and delicious way to eat sweet potatoes is by making hummus:

Ingredients:
2 medium-sized Sweet Potatoes
Approx. 2 cups Chickpeas
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 clove Garlic (to taste)
Juice and zest ½ a Lemon
2 pinches Sea Salt
½ tsp ground Cumin
1 pinch Pepper

Directions:
1)      Prick sweet potatoes and microwave them until soft. (You could also bake or steam them if you have more time).
2)      Place the sweet potatoes in the food blender with the chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and zest, sea salt, pepper and cumin. Thin the mixture with water if necessary.
3)      Serve with raw veggies, pita bread, as a sandwich spread—the possibilities are endless!

Sources:
Gillian McKeith’s nutrition bible: You Are What You Eat
Visit her website for more information.

Olivia Lifman is in her final year at McGill University, where she is completing an Honours BA in English Literature with a minor concentration in International Relations. Passionate about writing, reading, and the Arts, she is the Editor-in-Chief of both Her Campus McGill and McGill's English Department's Undergraduate Academic Journal, The Channel, as well as a literacy tutor. She has coached tennis for five years and is an avid haf-marathon runner. Olivia is very much looking forward to extending McGill's campus beyond its university borders and into the city of Montreal at large as she works more closely with Her Campus this year.
Sofia Mazzamauro, born and raised in Montreal, is majoring in English Cultural Studies and minoring in Communication and Italian Studies. Along with being the editor-in-chief of Her Campus McGill, she is a writer for Leacock’s online magazine’s food section at McGill University and the editor of the Women’s Studies Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Journal. After graduation, she aspires to pursue a career in lifestyle magazine writing in Montreal.