This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.
Hallelujah! Midterms are almost at an end… and how do we celebrate? Traveling for reading week, of course! For those of you lucky ones who are able to get on a plane or even a train for a good get-away, I deeply envy you! You deserve to know what life outside a library feels like, and I’m here to help you accomplish an incredible vacation with some tips on how to travel in style. 

• Packing

Depending on where you go, the first step to traveling like a pro is to check the weather app. I find that seeing the exact temperature narrows down a lot of clothing options and reminds me not to pack 5 swimsuits. The next step is to make a list. This list doesn’t have to be a full on story; just a few general categories jotted down can really help. I usually have 6 labels: clothes, shoes, makeup, toiletries, accessories and technology. And finally, don’t forget to ROLL lighter weight clothing items and LAY DOWN heavier sweaters on top. This trick can allow for more room in an already cramped suitcase.

• Style 

If you are the type of person who likes to wear stilettos while waiting in long lines at the airport, please stop reading now. This article isn’t for you, and congratulations on your insanely fit calves. FOR THE REST OF US who just want to get somewhere in one piece, read on. Flat shoes, whether they are sneakers, boots, or sandals are a MUST. For the chilly air conditioning on the plane (is anyone else freaked out by the recycled air or is that just me?), bring some type of sweater or cardigan. My favorite cozy accessory for planes: fuzzy socks. Let me tell you, these babies have really saved me. Cold feet = cold life. A scarf is another warm accessory that can double as a pillow for those of you who didn’t bring a neck pillow. For the bottoms half, I’d say stay away from any material that involves squeezing or anything you can’t eat a Thanksgiving dinner in. Sweats, leggings, or even some baggy shorts will do. 

Jacket: YSL Shirt: Forever 21 Pants: Nelly Suitcase: Nordstrom Scarf: Anthropologie Sneakers: Nike via Bloomingdales

• Essentials

These are just some quick little products that improve a travel experience immensely. Planes, trains, and buses can get very dry, so lotion, lip balm, and eye drops are lifesavers. For all the sleeping beauties, remember to pack a sleeping mask and a neck pillow. Earphones, of course, are essential for watching movies, listening to music, or even just blocking out that baby behind you who is incessantly screaming.

Waterbottle: Connox Neck Pillow: Nordstrom Ear phones: Kirna Zabete Eye Mask: Asos Lip Balm: Burt’s Bees Hair Ties: Madewell Lotion: Kiehl’s Socks: Etsy

• Entertainment

And finally, my favorite category of all: “What to Do While Waiting for 4 Hours”. Of course, you have your iPhone and you’ve never scrolled down Instagram so hard in your life, but let’s get creative here. You can always start a new read; one time I finished a whole book, BJ Novak’s One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories, while waiting for a flight. It was the perfect combination of hilarious and enlightening, and you should all run to your nearest book store to buy it now. Also, if you don’t have wifi on the plane, releasing yourself from technology at this time would be beneficial. My favorite magazines that I buy from the airport shops are Lucky, Cosmopolitan, The Food Network Magazine, and Better Homes and Gardens. My next entertainment recommendations are podcasts. If you’re tired of reading or listening to things, there’s always sleep. Sleep trumps all activities.

Thanks for catching up with me on Dr. Style! Bon voyage, and have a wonderful break!

Stay healthy. Stay gorgeous.

Love,

Dr. Style

Images obtained from: