This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

It may be finals season, and gifts are the last thing on your mind, but you can’t blame us for wanting to spread some Christmas cheer over these drab and frigid few weeks. After all, the only holiday cheer some of us get these days is when we stumble from the library to Starbucks, where they have Christmas-edition cups and festive drinks, so hopefully, our over-excitement is just a bit more acceptable.

As much as everyone enjoys the holidays, we face constantly pressure to purchase the perfect gift and wrap it in over-priced, cliché wrapping paper. Whether you’re looking to spare a few dollars this holiday season or simply get creative, we have two DIYs that are sure to have your family and friends exclaiming over your wrapping paper as much as the gifts inside. Both styles of wrapping paper are guaranteed to pop when placed under the tree. Follow these next few steps and you’ll be sure to have the most original gift-wrap this holiday season.

Christmas Music Wrapping paper

Step 1: Print off sheet music of your favorite Christmas carols. They are extremely easy to find online.  The number of sheets you  need to print depends on the size of the gift you are wrapping.

Step 2: Prepare yourself a mug of black coffee. No, you can’t enjoy it just yet! First you need to stain the sheet music. Soak a piece of paper towel in the coffee and use it to dab sections of the sheet music. You can add as much coffee stain as needed for your preferred look.

[pagebreak]

Step 3: Use scissors to distress the edges. You can also dampen the edges with water and make small rips and crinkles, which will look antique once they dry.

Optional: Burn the edges of the sheet music for a more rustic and worn look. Remember to follow safety rules! Dampen the paper a few millimetres away from the edge where you want to burn, place a tea-candle on flat surface and hold the sheet music just above the flame and no farther.

Or, place sheet music on a flat wooden surface and press an iron to the edges.

Blow out the flame immediately after the sheet burns and keep a wet towel close by at all times.

Step 4: Use your home made wrapping paper and wrap up those presents!

Christmas Word-Search Wrapping paper

Step1: Print off Christmas word-searches. There are plenty of fun ones available online that are made to get kids into the holiday spirit, and work perfectly for our wrapping creativity.

Step 2: Time for some fun; grab green and red markers and complete the word searches but encircling each of the required words.

Step 3: Cut out just the letters keep nothing else.

Final steps: When you’re done creating the wrapping paper, go ahead and wrap your presents! Put on some ribbon or whatever else you use to add your creative flair to this holiday season