The Danish Are Here (Part Two): Karin Skaarup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

In the second installment of “The Danish Are Here,” here’s Karin Skaarup.  Karin is third year sociology major who is currently dabbling in some art history and theory courses as she is in Montreal on exchange from the University of Copenhagen.

This Scandinavian stunner is all about alternating between classic minimalist style and bohemian-wild-child-of-the-Scandinavian-mountains look.  Karin strikes that perfect balance between lacey feminine chic and sporty street fashion with an envious effortlessness.  On our breakfast date, she showed up in a stunning apple green lace top, a delicious raspberry-red blazer, cool black jeans and some ankle boots (whereas I showed up in my uniform of black skinny trousers, an oversized sweater, and a wild mane of unbrushed hair that has a will of its own at that ungodly hour in the morning). “My style is inspired by other people in the street,” says Karin. Darling, its you people imagine awesome street style to look like!

And boy, does this lady need the comfort of simple and sporty wear because she is buuusy! What with running to clear her mind, practicing yoga, and the occasional waltz in her living room to the piano serenades of her neighbour, this girl never seems to stop! Back home, Karin volunteers at the non-profit café Mellemrummet for an organization called Action Aid Denmark, where all the money goes to a fantastic cause that alternates every three months. And if that wasn’t enough to make you feel lazy ad inadequate, she has also volunteered for Amnesty International, with which she has traveled to many places including Kenya and South Africa — Cape Town being one of her favorite cities to date (except Montreal, right Karin? *wink*) — and has taught English in India while repairing local schools.  Karin is passionate about people and travelling, and her exuberance for life is irresistible. “There hasn’t gone a year in my life when I haven’t traveled — I can’t sit still for long!” she admits. “I need to know how other people live, what other places look like, what their smells are!” This girl, you just want to hug her and jump around in circles with her squealing; she’s so keen, happy, and easy going!