The Danish Are Here: Cecilie Morville

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Watching a screening of the original Omen in the “slum Gothic” styled Red Roof Church in the dead of night does not merely yield your average creepy, introverted, lurker with a twisted sense of humour and a penchant for sickening gore involving an inverted crucifix impaling an insane, guilt-stricken priest and the spawn of Satan who has a particular distaste for Sunday sermons. Nope, nuh-uh, you would be wrong sistah, because this is precisely how I met Cecilie, an awesome, brilliant, and stylish (sickening, right!?) chick who was a volunteer at this year’s Pop Montreal Festival.  I sat down with this lady, who is on exchange from the University of Copenhagen, over some sweet bread French toast, golden pancakes, and mountains of fried eggs and bacon at Beauty’s Lunchonette to pick her brain about traveling, style, horror movies, and why Montreal is one her favourite places so far! 

A third-year anthropology student, Cecilie is now taking some business classes “because I want to eventually combine both fields for my masters thesis.” Smart cookie. Cecilie loves to travel and has been to quite a few places, which is putting it mildly. Me being overkeen and slightly neurotic in my obsession with making lists, I made the mistake of asking Cecilie to name ALL the places she had visited… which included all of Europe, Australia, Morocco, Guatamala, Cuba, and she’s been sailing in Greece, Thailand, the French Polynesia, Cambodia, and Vietnam *breathe* as well as having worked for six months in the south of France and lived in New York City doing fieldwork on Jewish family life. And there I was thinking I was a cosmopolitan because I’m a regular on trains to Toronto to visit my sister. I’m lame apparently. Now, if Cecilie could not get any cooler and awesomer (yes, I said it, do not judge me), Cecilie is also an activist involved in volunteer-based work with reproductive health issues, travelling to Uganda as an ambassador for a pro-choice campaign across the African continent. 

Besides loving and respecting women’s uteri (thanks, gurlfriend!) Cecilie also loves fashion. She describes her style as “very Scandinavian,” which broken down is “minimalistic, with straight lines. I like simple, that raw look.” Ouuuu, it’s like fashion with a capital “F” broken down, deconstructed, and splayed out. I dig it. “I spend a lot of time looking at blogs, both Danish and international, especially the diy sections,” she admits cheekily, “People watching is always good inspiration too!”  Cecilie and I now have a people-watching date set in the near future. If you see a blond and a brunette-pretending-to-be-a-blond-with-some-serious-damage-control-business-going-on-at-the-back-of-her-head sitting at Café Myriade, sipping americanos and facing the street, yes we are totally judging you.

If you want to procrastinate further and NOT get those final papers done, check out some of the Danish style blogs Cecilie recommends. 

http://trineswardrobe.dk/

http://www.fredesblog.dk/

http://emilysalomon.dk/