A Component in Maple Syrup May Hold the Key to Understanding Alzheimer’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

All of us are potentially at risk for health problems. One type of condition, Alzheimer’s disease, is a chronic neurodegenerative disease that accounts for 60% to 70% cases of dementia. It usually starts out slow and gets worse over time. The most common and early symptom of Alzheimer’s is short-term memory loss. As the disease advances, symptoms can include mood swings, loss of motivation, disorientation and behavioural issues. Ultimately, the progression can lead to death in an expected three to nine years following the diagnosis. According to the Alzheimer Society of Canada, in 2011 alone, 747,000 Canadians were living with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.

A normal brain (left) and the brain of a person with Alzheimer’s (right). Characteristics that separate the two are pointed out.

The cause of Alzheimer’s is poorly understood. As of now, there is no treatment that could stop or reverse the progression of Alzheimer’s. However, scientists from the University of Toronto and University of Rhode Island have indicated that a component in maple syrup holds promise in protecting brain cells against neurodegenerative diseases.  

The misfolding and clumping of cellular proteins within the brain can accumulate into plaques and tangles, which lead to brain disease. While looking for compounds called polyphenol, Dr. Donald Weaver, from the University of Toronto’s Krembil Research Institute, showed that maple syrup may help prevent improper folding and clumping of two types of proteins linked to Alzheimer’s: beta amyloid and tau peptide. “So what we have shown in test tubes is that the extract of maple syrup prevents these, I’ll call them ‘bad proteins’, from misfolding and behaving badly” said Dr. Weaver (CTV News).

Microglial cells are the primary forms of defence against pathogens in the central nervous system. A decrease in microglial function is also linked with Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative diseases. Navindra P. Seeram, an associate professor from the University of Rhode Island, together with researchers at Texas State University, have shown that pure maple syrup extract prevents the tangling of beta amyloid proteins, and protects the neurons in the rodents’ brain. “Natural food products such as green tea, red wine, berries, curcumin and pomegranates continue to be studied for their potential benefits in combatting Alzheimer’s disease,” said Seeram. “And now, in preliminary laboratory-based Alzheimer’s disease studies, phenolic-enriched extracts of maple syrup from Canada showed neuroprotective effects, similar to resveratrol, a compound found in red wine. However, further animal and eventually human studies would be required to confirm these initial findings.” (CTV News)

Maple syrup has long been a part of Canada’s culture. Canada produces 71% of the world’s pure maple syrup, 91% of which comes from Quebec. Today, it is exported to approximately 50 countries, with the US being the primary importer. Over a decade, the demand for the sugary delight has gone up by 50% since it has been used in a variety of recipes. So who would have guessed that something right in front of our eyes may contain the key to understanding such a horrid disease? “It might not be brain food, but it may be a sweet treat that isn’t all bad.” (CTVNews)

Sources obtained from:

Image Obtained From: