Claudia Lach: Chair at McMUN

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Meet the lovely Claudia Lach! Claudia is one of the brightest and funniest people I’ve met here in Montreal. She’s in U3, majoring in Economics and minoring in International Development and Psychology. She calls herself “a bit of a book nerd” who loves travelling and cats, but I know her well enough to say that she’s being modest.

Claudia is not only driven and friendly, but you can immediately tell that she is genuinely kind. With her aspirations and her fun persona, Claudia embodies the spirit of Montreal.

Idil Copur from Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): Hi Claudia! Thanks for doing an interview with Her Campus McGill. Could you tell us a bit about some things you are involved in outside of school?

Claudia Lach (CL): With McMUN finished, I still do a few things for the International Relations Association (IRSAM), like coordinating an educational program on peace and organizing some volunteering events. I’m also a part of She’s the First, which raises money for scholarships for girls in lower-income countries.

HC McGill: Tell us about McMUN. What do you do for them?

CL: I’m the chair of a committee so I do some basic research for the delegates and assist in their debate. Model UN is very procedural; every speech has to have a topic and time limit announced and I get to cut people off with a gavel if they talk too much! It may seem really nerdy but we do some role play, meet awesome people from around the world, and, of course, party McGill-style!

HC McGill: That sounds amazing, and you seem to have a very busy life. How do you manage your time?

CL: Having an agenda is really important, at least to keep track of dates and meetings. Otherwise, it’s just about setting your priorities and doing as much as you can on a given day. But let’s be honest, I still sneak in some Netflix time. [grins] It’s also really important to get enough sleep! I can’t be productive and sleep-deprived, so I always try to get at least 6 hours of sleep.

HC McGill: And we’re in Montreal, so there’s always something going on, right? What do you like most about Montreal?

CL: I love the cultural vibe and that there’s always something happening for everyone. Everything in downtown is easily accessible: lots of new food to try, music festivals to go to, and cool people to meet!

HC McGill: What was the best free thing you did in Montreal?

CL: Probably just chilling on a Sunday afternoon at Tam Tams: listening to music, talking to friends and soaking in some sun.

HC McGill: Sounds pretty chill! I’m sure you’ve had your share of crazy Montreal memories though!

CL: It would definitely be something in first year. Lots of free time, crazy ideas, energy, and poutine to finish off the night!

HC McGill: Yes, poutine! Where was the best poutine you’ve had in Montreal?

CL: This is really hard, I’d probably have to say Frite Alors.

HC McGill: Do you have a favorite study spot in the city?

CL: There’s nothing like home, I live in NDG so it’s super quiet and I have everything I need at my disposal. I’ve spent way too much time at McLennan and Second Cup at the weirdest hours.

HC McGill: Something you definitely want to try in Montreal by the end of this year?

CL: There are so many things I haven’t done yet. I’ve actually never been to La Ronde and Osheaga. I also want to visit a sugar shack and carve ice sculptures!

HC McGill: There’s actually a lot going on in the city at the moment. What are you most excited about?

CL: I’ve never done Nuit Blanche in Montreal so I’m really excited for that. I might also try to catch the end of Igloofest.

HC McGill: I know you’re graduating at the end of this term. This is a tricky question, but what are your immediate plans after graduation, if you don’t mind sharing?

CL: Resting of course! I’ll be spending a few weeks in May travelling to Poland and Romania. Afterwards, I’ll spend the summer working in Montreal. I’m not ready to leave yet!

Photos provided by the interviewee.