Campus Cutie: Mike McCann of Busty and the Bass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Meet the next cutie in our Busty and the Bass campus cutie series, one of Busty’s trumpet players, Mike McCann! To listen to some of Busty’s music, visit their SoundCloud. Like what you hear? Go like Busty and the Bass on Facebook, and download their album, Bustified, from their website. Bonus: check out their Youtube channel to see the music video for their song “Tryna Find Myself,” filmed on campus with a cameo by our principal, Suzanne Fortier! Finally, get excited, because Busty and the Bass will be performing a show on campus on November 24!

Name: Mike McCann

Age: 21

Year: Class of 2015

Major: Jazz performance

Hometown: Upton, Massachusetts, USA

Single or taken? Single

What is the best venue you’ve ever played at? I’m going to say Chris’ house.

What is your dream venue to play at? Probably Madison Cube Garden, from Futurama.

What is your favourite memory with the band? Chris’ dialogues at the House Jank. We called Louis’ apartment in first year House of Jank. We have some funny videos of Chris, maybe intoxicated… That’s my favourite memory.

What is the craziest thing you’ve ever done at a show? Probably a wine chug.

What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod? I don’t even know! “First things first, I’m the realest,” what’s that song? “Fancy” by Iggy Azalea.

What song title or song lyric best describes your life? I don’t know… yet. That’s a hard question. “Everything happens to me”…? But that’s a bit depressing. Actually, no. “Up in the club with my homies.”

Who are your favourite singers and/or bands? Ariana Grande.

…Ariana Grande? Yeah, whatever.

What is your guilty pleasure? Ooh…Probably pecan pie with maple walnut ice cream.

If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be? Pasta.

What is the most bizarre thing in your backpack? Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style.

What’s in your refrigerator right now? Ooh… Refried beans… Sour cream… tomatoes, lettuce, salsa, pizza, and hot sauce.

What is your most prized possession? We’ll say my trumpet.

If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why? I wish I could see into people’s backpacks while I’m walking down the street, because it would be entertaining.

If the guy from Humans of New York stopped you on the streets, what would you tell him? “I’m not human.”

If your house was on fire and you could only save 3 things, what would they be? Hmm…Trumpet, laptop, and Arban’s.

In your opinion, what is the best pickup line? Hmm. I am not prepared for this question. “Hey, I’m Mike.”

Stay tuned for the rest of the Busty and the Bass campus cuties!

Images contributed by the interviewee.

After spending a wonderful fall 2015 term in Paris, France, Regina is in her final semester at McGill University, studying Economics and French. She loves reading and writing in her spare time, travelling to foreign places, and baking anything she has the ingredients for. She also occasionally plays the oboe. Some of Regina's favourites include the colour blue, the season of fall, and the movie You've Got Mail. You can follow her on Instagram under the handle @reginawung.