Campus Cutie BFF Edition: Kahli Douglas and Ben Van Der Ger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Collegiettes, you are in for a treat, because this is Her Campus McGill’s FIRST EVER Campus Cutie BFF Edition. You heard that right, this is groundbreaking. This week we interviewed best friends Kahli Douglas and Ben Van Der Ger, two Ontario kids turned Habs fans making their way in the big city of Montreal. Read on to discover their most embarrassing moments, their opinions on Justin Bieber, and even their favourite things about each other! 

Year and Major:

Kahli: U2 Psychology

Ben: U3 Environmental Economics

Hometown:

Kahli: London, ON.

Ben: Toronto, ON.

Favourite expression:

Kahli: Well, that didn’t work.

Ben: 1. Yea yea for sure! Mhmmmm, that’s super fair! 2. That’s SO hype!!!

Best memory at McGill:

Kahli: Annual stargazing where the city lights can’t reach.

Ben: To be honest, nailing down a single memory doesn’t seem fair. The community of people I’m happy to lovingly call both my friends and chosen family are what have made my time here so amazing. I’m happier now with who I am, what I’m doing, and what I can hopefully do in the future than I’ve ever been and that is thanks to you all. From the bottom of my heart I love you all so SO much! (heart emoticon)

Campus involvement:

Kahli: You can usually find me volunteering for or trying to join a new club every semester.

Ben: Definitely the thing I’m most proud about is giving the School of the Environment more of a voice on campus through SSMU council. For those who don’t know: Chelsea Kingzett is our first ever McGill School of the Environment (MSE) councillor and she’s KILLING IT!!!

Most embarrassing moment:

Kahli: Basically, I was crushing on this guy I just met. My friend wanted to know who it was, so I cropped this old profile pic I found on Facebook (we were not Facebook friends) and sent it to her. Yea, turns out I sent it to him. Oops.

Ben: https://www.facebook.com/camfong/videos/vb.667120828/10152556438830829/?type=3&theater @AdamBrady @JulianaBergen @DanielKaplan (wink emoticon)

Best pick-up line:

Kahli: If you were a vegetable, you’d be a cute-cumber.

Ben: Hey, how does spending the night actually just watching Netflix and eating ice-cream out of the tub sound?

Song that best describes your life:

Kahli: You’ve Got a Friend In Me.

Ben: Pick any Drake song you can think of and I will probably have found a way to make it apply to every part of my being.

Favourite breakfast cereal:

Kahli: Trix #foreverakid

Ben: SPECIAL KKKKKKKKKK

Favourite hashtag:

Kahli: #treatyoself (special mention: #samosaphone)

Ben: #IllRideWithYou

What is one object you can not live without?

Kahli: My chapstick.

Ben: My SoundCloud account (@benvanderger). Not saying it’s the best SoundCloud account (@benvanderger) or anything, but its 100% without a doubt the best SoundCloud account (@benvanderger). Follow it if you feel like it, I guess (@benvanderger @benvanderger @benvanderger).

What would your Tinder bio read?

Ben: Chill guy with mood in perpetual flux and tendency to smile excessively seeks person to watch the entirety of Game of Thrones with and eat ice-cream/drink mulled wine (depending on the season) + breakfast all day in bed with. Also you should probably be into Drake.

Male celebrity crush:

Kahli: Matthew Gray Gubler.

Ben: George Clooney – Silver Fox Era when he was rocking a grey beard and perfectly combed grey hair.

Female celebrity crush:

Kahli: Emma Stone.

Ben: (fire emoji) (fire emoji) ~~ Laverne Cox ~~ (fire emoji) (fire emoji).

If you could switch places with the other person for a day, what would you do?

Kahli: Oh gosh, Ben goes to probably a bazillion meetings a day, so I’d blow them all off. I feel like Ben gives a lot of his day to others so I’d get up early, rent a car and just go for a drive out to the country. I think it would be a nice, peaceful break from the long, busy days. And I’d pick up some gourmet coffee for the house :)

Ben: WHERE DO I BEGIN! Kahli works SO hard day in and out so I’d spend the day treating myself/herself constantly! First I’d get up late and start the day with eggs benedict from Bagel’s Etc., then I’d call up the actual me and we’d hit up La Ronde for a few hours, and finally finish the day off with a seriously long Netflix marathon accompanied by **wine and waffles**.

What is your favourite thing about the other person?

Kahli: Ben is just the most genuine person you’ll ever meet. Who he is just shines through in everything he does. He’s caring and real and being around him is refreshing. He’s an amazing human with a heart of gold.

Ben: Kahli has the most amazing ability of making you feel so incredibly loved. I can’t express how lovely it’s been to have her as a friend and hope I can give back a quarter of the feeling she inspires in others. (heart emoticon)

~~~SPEED ROUND~~~

One Direction or Justin Bieber?

Kahli: Bieber. I’m not even ashamed.

Ben: Is it too late to say sorry? Cause I’m missing more than just your body…

Coke or Pepsi?

Kahli: Coke. I mean it depends though, ’cause Timmies only sells Pepsi.

Ben: Any sort of bottled water but mainly I only drink Fiji (obvs).

Leafs or Habs?

Kahli: lol Habs.

Ben: Habs!

Blue Ivy or North West?

Kahli: Blue Ivy (did someone name their kid Blue Ivy?)

Ben: Blue Ivy.

Images provided by interviewees.