Campus Celebrity: Nayab Malik

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

U2 Nayab Malik, a major in Psychology and Sociology, hails from the Faculty of Arts and Science. Born on the outskirts of Lahore, Pakistan, she moved to Cornwall, Ontario at the age of twelve, and after completing her CEGEP at Vanier College in Health Science, decided to bless McGill with her lively presence. Her hectic campus life sees her assume the role of VP external for the Sociology student department, VP internal for Abhilasha Project, editor for the Ampersand Journal, and be an active member of IRSAM and DECA McGill. Her rather jaw dropping résumé, plus her omnipresent positioning top of her class, make her the ultimate Campus Celebrity. She skilfully fit us into her already jam-packed, midterm-crazed schedule to give us a look at the impressive juggling act she has come to perfect with fierce motivation, an endless supply of energy. Let’s meet the person behind this superhero act.

Let’s start at the very beginning, how did you end up at McGill?
Cliché or not, McGill University was always my dream school. Its international reputation, the strength and number of its programs, the never-ending opportunities to get involved, not to mention its prime location of course; a beautiful campus in the heart of Montreal, it was the ideal choice.

Just how involved are you?
I am VP External for the Sociology Student Association. As VP I represent the association at the AUS council and collaborate with fellow departmental executives to bring about events. I really enjoy being involved in student politics because it gives me with the opportunity to discuss the dynamics of the day-to-day student experience and how to improve it. I am VP internal for Abhilasha Project, a non- profit organization that uses education to bring about change in India and the developing world. The McGill chapter raises awareness about the organization and coordinates fundraising activities. I am editor for the Ampersand Journal (McGill Arts and Science Integrative Journal), and therein I edit articles, and help out with publishing. I am a member of DECA McGill, and am super excited to be participating in my first ever Business case competition in Toronto in January through it. Finally, I am involved with IRSAM. I was as a delegate at the Columbia University MUN, at the in house conference, as a staffer at SSUNS, and hopefully in some shape or form at McMun this coming year.

Why is being involved so important to you?
I love being involved and keeping busy on campus because it is hands down the best way to learn leadership, communication, and team skills outside the classroom. I value these life skills as equally as I do academics. It is a great opportunity to meet people, have fun, and give back to the McGill community. The added bonus is that the more limited time I’m left with at the end of the day is spent efficiently. Besides, I’d get bored if I had nothing to do.

What keeps you motivated and how do you avoid getting overwhelmed?
Aside from constant daydreams of one day being successful and living the life in New York City or Paris, a sure motivation is looking up to the array of role models who surround me. I look to people like my dad who use determination and hard work to bring about their goals. I try hard to avoid pitfalls by reminding myself that in the long run, even if something doesn’t turn out quite the way I’d hoped, things work out for the best.

Favorite Class
My fave class right now has to be Political Sociology (SOCI 326) with Matthew K. Lange. If I had to choose my top three McGill classes, I think it’d come down to Medical Anthropology (ANTH 227), Health and Development (SOCI 365), and Introduction to Persian (ISLA 541 D1). 

What do you do on your free time?
I enjoy hanging out with friends and family, going out, catching up on TV shows and movies, or reading a good book. 

If you had a bit more free time you’d…
I love discovering new places and trying out new things, so I’d definitely try and uncover a couple of new restaurants. In my world, Thai and Italian cuisines tie first place, and macaroons and cupcakes are my official guilty pleasures. I’d also finally get around to watching Vampire Diaries (Ahem yes, Ian Somerhalder).

Favorite hang out spots
On campus, McLennan for studying, Lower field for the sun, and AUS Snax and Timmies in Redpath for snacks. When it comes to greater Montreal, Mount Royal and Saint Laurent Blvd win hands down.

McGill pet peeve
People who use a crowded lecture hall to catch up on the latest Gossip Girl, or whatever other TV show they watch. Also girls who wear UGGS around campus in summer is something I won’t ever understand. Oh, and socks with sandals. I know that’s not technically a McGill pet peeve, but as a general rant, why not just pick one or the other? 

What looms ahead in the distant, and not too distant futures?
Ultimately, way in the future perhaps, I’d like to be something along the lines of a Globetrotting humanitarian physician? I love the sound of that. In the meantime, I’m torn fifty-fifty between law school and Med school. 

Some wisdom for fellow Collegiettes™
Get involved on campus! McGill thrives off an omnipresent buzz and excitement that stems from a vibrant extracurricular scene. There’s so much going on! My college experience has honestly come to be defined by my extracurricular life. It is so easy to get involved, so don’t be shy. Most societies are constantly on the look out for new people, so keep an eye out for listservs and pick something. 

Ultimate inspirational quote
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover” –Mark Twain.

Sofia Mazzamauro, born and raised in Montreal, is majoring in English Cultural Studies and minoring in Communication and Italian Studies. Along with being the editor-in-chief of Her Campus McGill, she is a writer for Leacock’s online magazine’s food section at McGill University and the editor of the Women’s Studies Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Journal. After graduation, she aspires to pursue a career in lifestyle magazine writing in Montreal.