Campus Celebrity: Kiara Seto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Look out McGill – this week’s campus celebrity is hip-hop extraordinaire, soon to be occupational-therapist Kiara Seto. Kiara, Ki or Kiki as her friends call her, is one of the sweetest and friendliest people you’ll meet at McGill. But don’t let that sweet face fool you – she is far from being just another student. Behind that sweet face of hers lies a strong drive and a dedicated commitment to work hard and to make it to the top, all the while being true to herself…

Kiara is currently studying Occupational Therapy at the School of Physical and Occupational Therapy here at McGill and will be graduating this year. She hopes to continue her schooling in the health field by pursuing a Master’s in OT next year. Although school has her occupied for a good part of the year, she still has time to do a million other things. For instance, she has been working a considerable number of hours per week for a couple of years at a Vet in Pierrefonds because Ki loves helping animals and is an animal activist at heart. She also has plenty of animal work stories that will keep you both chuckling and ringing (the number of shots she’s received after being bitten by animals is quite impressive, to say the least…)

Let’s get to know her a little better, shall we?

Why McGill?

McGill has an excellent reputation for its medical-related programs. Also, McGill is unique in that it offers a Bachelor’s in occupational therapy, whereas other schools would require you to apply to a Master’s program in occupational therapy in order to become an occupational therapist.

What do you like best about your program?

The relatively small program allows the students to participate in small learning environments. The professors encourage participation in our classes in order to enrich our learning experience. Also, the program is taught by faculty members with diverse experiences, such as those who have worked in clinical practice, have done research, practiced abroad, etc., which allows us to learn about the diverse work experience occupational therapy can bring.

What is one thing that people don’t know about you?

I love to dance! Whether it be hip hop or latin dance, I love learning new choreographies. It gives me an outlet to relax and let loose especially when school gets busy!

What is your favorite study spot at McGill?

McIntyre (especially the newly renovated 2nd floor!)

At times, it can be hectic at McGill and many students fall behind in schedule – how do you stay focused and organized?

I note all my due dates in my agenda, and make sure that I stay up to date with the assigned work. I plan out what I have to do during the week, month, etc. and try not to procrastinate. I allow myself to have small breaks in between study sessions, like taking a five minute walk.

When not busy with school and work, Kiara is also an amateur foodie – she and her friends love to discover new local and international cuisines found in the Montreal area – so if you have a favourite culinary spot in mind, send her a shout out! 

Regardless of her hectic school schedule Kiara says that she keeps herself in check because “…having a good school/work/life balance is the most important aspect of being a student. You can’t just be busy with school work all the time – the right amount between school and non-school activities is what keeps me sane. ” Needless to say, one of the non-school activities she has done would be to dabble in the arts, testing out her creative waters: she plays the piano, loves to draw and paint and dances as well!

As a U3 student, Ki has plenty of advice for newbies – from how to eat healthy (try to bring your own lunch!) to staying fit (she has a YMCA membership and she dances when she can). So if you do see her on Campus and just want to talk to her and be reassured that you can really do it all, please do so, she’d love to say hello!