Campus Celebrity: Dafina Savic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

As McGill Collegiettes™, we are aware that our campus and city are quite unique. We are a melting pot of multi-ethnic, interesting, and diverse people—and we embrace it! While many of us are now comfortable expressing our differences, the truth is that this was likely not always the case. Back track to high school where most of us would be conversing in English over a plain ham sandwich. Why is it that young people in general feel this pressure to hide their diversity? More importantly, is anything being done about this?

This week, Her Campus McGill sat down with Dafina Savic, a 22-year-old Political Science student and YMCA youth coordinator intern, to discuss these difficult issues. A free spirit with a passion for working with youth, she is going to great lengths—and far-away places—to change these misconceptions. 

How did you get involved with the YMCA? Tell us a bit about your work there throughout the years.
Actually, I started volunteering at the YMCA when I was seventeen years old. A friend and I volunteered together once a week. We began by teaching French to children from Latin America, Africa, and Eastern Europe. It was amazing to watch how close these kids became, even though many of them could not communicate with each other. I then went on to do more work with kids. This time, I was working as an after-school program coordinator. Here, we helped children whose parents did not speak enough English or French to help them with schoolwork. All of these programs are really centred around increasing self-confidence, accepting yourself, and accepting others. Most recently, I signed on to present at the YMCA Youth Forum, which will take place in San Francisco in two weeks. I am very excited about it!

Tell us a bit more about that. What is the goal of this conference? What is your involvement with it?
Essentially, a group of five girls and I were selected to attend a youth forum where volunteers and staff from YMCAs around Canada and the United States will meet to discuss any issues that they feel are relevant to today’s youth. We chose to present on the topic of diversity—ethnic, sexual, and any other kinds of diversity. For the past few months, we have been going around the city interviewing people of different backgrounds, and people who simply have an interesting story to tell. We are now in the process of editing these interviews. In a few weeks, we will be showing this series of interviews at the forum. The idea is to capture the diversity of our city and show how beautiful it is.

You work a lot with young people—can you give us an insight on your own experiences as a young person in terms of diversity? Did you ever feel the need to conform as a teenager?
Well, I am a first generation Canadian. My entire family is from the former Yugoslavia, so my sister and I grew up in a very traditional setting. I can definitely say that when I was younger, I felt different from many of my classmates. Our traditions were very unique and it was difficult for some of my friends to understand that. Luckily, I had adults in my life, like teachers and family members, who really encouraged me to be myself. In the end, I was really lucky to find friends I was comfortable with, and who really embraced my differences.

Finally, is there a way for young people to get involved with their local YMCA? If so, how?
Definitely! I think the reason why I love working with the YMCA so much is because it is such an open and welcoming place. The goal of the organization is to give people a way to create change within their own communities. You can contact your local YMCA for more information, or visit their website. I guarantee that there are plenty of opportunities to get involved! 

Sofia Mazzamauro, born and raised in Montreal, is majoring in English Cultural Studies and minoring in Communication and Italian Studies. Along with being the editor-in-chief of Her Campus McGill, she is a writer for Leacock’s online magazine’s food section at McGill University and the editor of the Women’s Studies Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Journal. After graduation, she aspires to pursue a career in lifestyle magazine writing in Montreal.