This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Hamburgers are quick, satisfying, and great for students on a budget. Usually a staple at fast food restaurants, hamburgers have now become quite the delicacy. When originally introduced, their presentation was quite standard—as were the toppings. Nowadays, however, various restaurants have re-vamped the standard hamburger to include a diverse array of toppings from tomatoes to avocados to pineapples and even fried balls of cheese! Not only has the choice of toppings expanded, but these gourmet burgers are no longer strictly made of beef. Many restaurants now offer lamb, bison, and vegetarian patties, as well as many other options. 

A burger, regardless of the meat used, should be judged by 4 factors. 

The first, and most important, is how well the meat is prepared. Is it juicy or dry? Is it seasoned? Is it over-cooked, under-cooked, or just right? (Personally, I believe that it should prepared medium—no more, no less) 

The second factor that should be considered is the bread. Is the bread-to-bun ratio appropriate? Is it too soggy or toasted just right? Are there black poppy seeds? (Yes, this makes a difference in flavor—trust me!)

The third factor includes toppings. Are the standard toppings—lettuce and tomatoes—included? Is the bacon actually crispy? Are you provided with sufficient options for additional toppings? In terms of prepared burgers—do the toppings blend well together or are there overpowering elements?

Finally, the fourth factor is the burger on a whole. Overall, despite some mishaps (if any), is it satisfying? Is it too messy? Does it fall apart on the second bite? 

Finding the best burger, or the best of anything for that matter, is quite the task to undertake. When I began this article, I initially planned on only including five restaurants. However, after a quick poll among friends, I decided that including a slightly longer list of restaurants would be more beneficial as it may appeal to those of differing tastes and preferences. The following list includes restaurants that are known for their gourmet burgers, but I have also included those that are not. Considering that one’s dining experience is extremely important in the restaurant business, I have made sure to include information on service within the reviews. I have decided to limit the list to 13 restaurants, partly because a 10-page article may be too long to maintain a reader’s interest but also because bikini season is coming up!

While I have yet to find the ultimate burger in Montreal, I have come across some pretty good burgers. So for your next restaurant trip to satisfy your burger fix, you may want to consider one of the following:

[pagebreak] 

La Paryse
It is with great hesitation that I include this restaurant. La Paryse is one of my favourite places and sometimes, just like with your favorite article of clothing, you just don’t want to share it. La Paryse is quite the hole-in-wall despite being located next door to the popular Distillerie bar. I must admit that I had passed by it at least a dozen times without noticing it before a co-worker told me about ‘a great little burger joint that I just had to try.’ After she described its location, I remained skeptical—how could I possibly have walked by such a popular restaurant and not noticed…impossible! However, she was right—and I have been in love with La Paryse ever since. Although you may have to wait between 20-45 minutes on a weekend if you arrive after 9:00pm to grab a table, my friends and I have yet to regret it. The interior is quite small, but it makes for an intimate and friendly atmosphere—particularly when the inebriated crowds come in from La Distillerie. Each table is equipped with crayons that even the adult customers can use to doodle on the brown paper placemats. The menu is by no means extensive, but simplicity is what La Paryse does best. I have had 3 of the 7 burgers offered on the menu (prices range from $6.95–$9.40), and in each case the burgers are big enough to fill you up without leaving you overly stuffed. The meat is usually cooked medium to medium-well and the meat-to-bun ratio is perfect. The fluffy poppy seed bun is the real star at La Paryse although, at times, it does fail to hold the burger together. The toppings are standard and simple but it works—and it works well. A nice addition is that fruit—usually a pineapple slice and strawberry—comes as a little side with your burger. The poutine ($6.25) and fries ($3.25 for a small portion or $4.25 for a big portion) are good, but I have had better.

Verdict: Overall a tasty burger in a great location.

302 Ontario E
(514) 842-2040

www.laparyse.com

O’Burger
Situated just south of the McGill campus and right outside the Eaton center, recently opened O’Burger is in a prime location. Unfortunately, its food leaves quite a bit to be desired. The restaurant is decorated in a trendy fashion with wall-to-ceiling mirrors, white tables, and large black couch-chairs, which make it slightly awkward to move around. Having visited O’Burger more than once, service appears to be varied—at times it is friendly and quick while at other times it was terrible (I once had to ask two different waiters for mayonnaise because after waiting for 10 minutes—yes, 10 minutes!—the first one never came back). At first glance, O’Burger appears to offer a good variety of burgers; however, upon closer inspection, the burger template remains the same with little variety. The price can be a bit steep for what they offer, ranging from $8.25–$10.00—drink and fries are not included. If you do opt for fries, the sweet potato fries ($4.50) are best. Ultimately, the burgers are okay. The Dallas burger, garnished with Monterey Jack cheese, crispy bacon, caramelized onions, and Dijon Creole sauce was alright. The bread is decent and the medium-well cooked meat is surprisingly moist—although that may just be due to the caramelized onions. The crispy bacon was not-so-crispy, perhaps putting it on top of the caramelized onions instead of under would have been a smarter decision.

Verdict: Mediocre at best.

1777 McGill College Ave
(514) 285-0005
www.oburger.ca

Mister Steer
Located between two strip joints, Mister Steer has been serving burgers for over 50 years. The interior is surprisingly large and with its peach-pink walls one feels as if they’ve stepped into an old school diner. Service is friendly and prompt. Within seconds of being seated you are served a small bowl of salad—iceberg lettuce with carrot shredding. Condiments such as oil, vinegar, or French dressing are provided on the table. The burger itself is a tiny meatball the size of a golf ball. The meat is fantastic and perfectly cooked; however, because of its size, you tend to get more bun than meat in a bite. The buns are of the standard store-bought variety, which is a shame as a nice fluffy poppy seed bun would have been a better choice. The Suzy-Q fries, which are essentially seasoned curly fries, are okay—personally, I am not a fan. Then again, it remains a matter of personal preference.

Verdict: Supposedly the best burger in Montreal, but I have yet to be convinced.

1198 Saint Catherine W
(514) 866-3233
www.mistersteer.com

[pagebreak]

M:brgr
M:brgr is an upscale hamburger joint in the heart of the Montreal downtown area. The lighting is warm and the walls are adorned with various cityscape portraits and televisions—perfect for a night out watching the game with friends. The seats are relatively comfortable although the tables can feel a bit small at times. Service is a little spotty—at times servers are slow and pretentious while at other times extremely attentive and helpful. The main premise of M:brgr is a ‘build your own burger experience.’ Customers can choose everything including what meat, bun, toppings, and even what cheese their burger will have. Sound great? It is—but for the overzealous and excited customers a simple burger (starting price is $8.95) can escalade in price quite quickly if you don’t make the right choices. The prepared burgers usually arrive quickly and are stacked quite high. For all the first timers, be sure to ask for extra napkins! Generally, lunch time is the best time to go to M:brgr as they offer a lunchbox special that includes a drink, fries, and AAA beef burger for only $12.95. While this is a better bargain for your wallet, please keep in mind that charges for additional toppings still apply. If, by some miracle, at the end of your meal you are craving dessert, I would highly suggest the deep dish chocolate chip cookie with vanilla ice cream. Personally, I think that the price of $10 is quite expensive for a giant Pillsbury chocolate chip cookie with a scoop of store-bought vanilla ice cream; however, out of the desserts offered, it is the better of the three. The homemade chocolate cake ($8) is quite dry—perhaps this is the reason for the shot of milk that is served with it, and the Tiramisu cake ($9) is mediocre at best.

Verdict: If you’re willing to splurge and are looking for an above average burger served in a trendy restaurant with mediocre service, then M:brgr is the place for you.

2025 Drummond
(514) 906-0408
www.mbrgr.com

McKibbin’s Irish Pub
“The Bison burger at McKibbin’s is to die for!” “It’s amazing!” “The best in Montreal!” As much as I love McKibbin’s, particularly for their amazingly cheap happy hour specials ($3.33 for mixed drinks), I cannot disagree more when it comes to their burger. Perhaps I went on bad nights; perhaps the chef was slammed with orders; perhaps I’m just too picky…regardless of the reason, this is what I know from my experiences. On both occasions, I ordered the famous Guinness Burger ($14.50)—a fire grilled ½ pound patty served with Guinness BBQ sauce and topped with aged Guinness cheddar. The meat—in my case bison, although customers have the option of a standard beef patty—was overcooked and dry. Not even the delicious Guinness BBQ sauce could save it! I took my burger with a side of salad, which was okay. Normally, I would say if you’re going to have a burger you have to do it right and get the fries; however, considering how many burgers I have been having to write this article, I needed something a little lighter. This being said, the few Yukon Gold fries that I stole off a friend’s plate were quite tasty.

Verdict: I will keep returning to McKibbin’s but for their happy hour and delicious chicken tenders, not the burger.

3515 Saint Laurent
(514) 282-1580
www.mckibbinsirishpub.com

Suite 701
Stunning. Gorgeous. Trendy. These are all words used to describe the beautiful Suite 701, located inside Hotel Place D’Armes. Suite 701 has beautifully molded high ceilings and long sheer curtains cover the floor-to-ceiling windows. The large and sleek bar lines the right side of the lounge while comfortable booths line the windowsills. Dimly lit with a slight purple hue, Suite 701 is the perfect place to relax and chat over drinks with friends after a long day. As the food can be quite pricey and has received mixed reviews, I waited until Happening Gourmand to try it out. Although rather empty, we were seated in a small yet intimate corner booth. For the main course, I had the Kobe Burger (typical menu price $20)—topped include Riopelle cheese, smoked bacon, and homemade Ketchup—with fries and a salad. Cooked medium, the meat itself lacked seasoning and overall flavor—a crime against Kobe beef! However, the combination of toppings were surprisingly satisfying. Overall service was lacking, yet drinks were delivered quickly.

Verdict: Not the place to go if you’re looking for an amazing meal, but a great atmosphere to hang out, drink, and relax with friends. The rooftop terrace is a must-do!

701 Cote de la Place d’Armes
(514) 904-1201
www.suite701.com

[pagebreak]

Le Smart Burger
Located right across the street from our very own McGill University, Le Smart Burger could not be situated in a better location. Unfortunately, the burger itself is not memorable. Looking for a quick bite near campus during a study break, friends suggesting trying Le Smart Burger. Reminiscent of a small-scale fast food joint, the interior is simple and clean with faux wood (I presume) paneling lining the wall. Two plasma televisions are placed on opposite sides of the restaurant. I opted for the Bourbon Street Burger ($6.95), which is comprised of bacon, caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, Swiss cheese, BBQ sauce, mayo, tomato, and lettuce. Despite claiming to offer high quality (AAA Canadian Beef) burgers at a reasonable price, the meat itself is rather bland. The beer-coated fries ($3.95) on the other hand, despite being a little too greasy for my preference, are quite good. I would recommend sharing them as they are served in generous portions—you will receive more fries than you know what to do with! If simple fries aren’t your thing, you can replace them with a variety of options at an additional price including poutine, chili, or macaroni salad.

Verdict: A smart choice in terms of budget (Trio starts as low as $9.95) however, the excessive oil from the burger on my now greasy hands says otherwise.

896 Sherbrooke W
(514) 564-7099
www.smartburger.ca

Cheeburger Cheeburger
Unlike most newly opened burger joints, which opt for a high-class or trendy décor, Cheeburger Cheeburger prefers to stay loyal to the picturesque old school American diners. Hot pink walls and various vintage paraphernalia adorn the restaurant. One thing that makes Cheeburger a strong contender among other gourmet burger restaurants is its array of options. Not only can you choose your bun and toppings (the majority of which are free), you can also choose the size of your burger! Personally, I think this is a phenomenal idea—particularly for picky eaters. There are 5 different sizes ranging from the Classic ($8.99) which is the smallest at 5.5 ounces to the largest burger at 20 ounces dubbed the Famous Pounder ($19.99)—which, upon completion, gets your picture up on the wall of fame for all to see.

Personally, the Semi-serious at 1/3 lb (7 ounces for $9.99) or the Serious at ½ lb (10 ounces for $12.99) are my favorite. Particularly when having a milkshake (which you also get to create) these burgers are the perfect size to avoid feeling overstuffed. Although the meat itself lacks seasoning, overall the burger is decent. Structurally, the bun fails to properly hold the components of the burger together, often resulting in quite the disaster—putting down your burger may not be a wise decision! Thankfully, each table is equipped with a paper-towel roll. Service-wise, Cheeburger is significantly lacking. The staff is extremely friendly and well-intentioned, although it feels as if, for the majority of them, this may be their first job in the restaurant business. Don’t expect your water glass to be filled as often as you’d like—if you are lucky enough to get one—or for your burger to arrive quickly. To distract from the wait, the tables are also equipped with trivial pursuit cards, which make for a good laugh and conversation starter.

Verdict: For an interesting experience and a pretty good milkshake, Cheeburger Cheeburger caters to a wide demographic. Not recommended for indecisive individuals!

1444 Metcalfe
(514) 419-7909
www.cheeburger.ca

[pagebreak]

Les Enfants Terribles
Considering that Les Enfants Terribles normally requires a reservation, we were lucky to snag a table for two along the window of this trendy and popular restaurant in Outremont. The décor is sophisticated and parallels the customers who are generally business women and men in their early 30s to mid-40s. The wood paneling and dimly lit lights and table candles create a relaxed and intimate ambiance. The menu, at times feeling overpriced, is a mix of comfort food favorites with a high-class cuisine twist. Everyday specials change to reflect the freshly delivered produce. Service is cordial but nothing more. As an entrée, for something simple and delicious, I would suggest the mini Chorizo Pogos ($5)—what can I say, fried food for me is what bacon is to others! For the main course, I opted for the lamb burger ($18) comprising goat cheese, arugula, tomato, lettuce, and onions. The bread was good and had a slight crunch. Personally, the amount of goat cheese was a tad heavy for my taste; however, the addition of ketchup will correct this and bring a better balance to the overall flavour. The real star of the meal however, was the bowl of fries accompanying my burger. They are very very good—perhaps my favorite in the city!

Verdict: Good food, great fries but not budget friendly.

1257 Bernard W
(514) 759-9918
www.lesenfantsterriblesbrasserie.ca

Deville Diner Bar
Deville is a modern-day revamped diner with a bright pink, white, and black color scheme. The long bar and mirrored walls give the impression that the restaurant is spacious. However, even the seemingly large black cushioned circular booths feel small. The drinks and food are divided into two menus, which are unnecessarily large considering the rather small tables. This being said, there is a large assortment available in both menus that is sure to appeal to a large variety of taste buds. Deville puts a unique spin on classic diner dishes that are sure to fill you up. Service is friendly and efficient although, at times, the food can take a little long to arrive. There is a nice selection of cocktails although I remain unimpressed with the bartenders. On more than one occasion my drinks have tasted watered down, leaving me wondering if the waiter/waitress misunderstood and brought me juice instead. The appetizers are very good and quite filling. The Bacon Wrapped Dog Sliders ($12.50 for 3)—Nathan’s Famous mini Frankfurters with Neon green relish, purple mustard, and creamy Carolina coleslaw served on toasted mini brioche buns—are worth a mention. Considering that I am not a huge fan of hot dogs or bacon (yes, I am that 1% that isn’t a devotee) if I had enough room in my stomach I would order these every time! Now, onto the real purpose of this article, the burger. Appealing to my love for sweet things I opted for the Cirque burger ($17), which contains caramelized onions, a bourbon-poached pear, arugula, melted Brie cheese, and bacon on a brioche bun with red onion marmalade. Served medium-well the meat is cooked evenly however it is not very flavorful on its own. The two patties are unnecessary and I found myself removing one of them so I could properly eat the burger without it falling apart. On a whole, the burger is quite good. The poached pear and arugula are refreshing in what would otherwise be a heavy burger. The matchstick fries that accompany the burger are good, but lack seasoning—a little pepper helps.

Verdict: Good food, huge portions! While the large portions may justify overpricing in the eyes of the owners, as a customer I’d prefer lower prices and smaller portions so that I, for once, can have room for dessert.

1425 Stanley
(514) 281-6556
www.devilledinerbar.com

Burger Bar Crescent
Lately it seems like gourmet burger joints are opening every other week in Montreal. With this in mind, opening yet another burger restaurant, particularly on Crescent which already has well established restaurants, is quite risky. Surprisingly, Burger Bar isn’t half bad. The interior is simple and small, although the second floor is slightly more spacious. Black couches and wooden tables line the left wall and there is a small, perfectly sized bar in the front corner by the entrance. Service was great—although this could be because it was a Wednesday night and not very busy. Notwithstanding the staff seems exceptionally friendly, and we could even hear the cooks making jokes while working. Overall, it had a pleasant and fun atmosphere. The BBQ Burger ($14)—comprising of AAA beef patty with Jack Daniel’s BBQ sauce, caramelized onions, smokey bacon, Quebec cheddar cheese, and tomato—was good. The meat was juicy and it was very flavorful. However, halfway through the flavor can become a little overwhelming, making me happy that I ordered a side of salad and not fries. The Bacon “Royal with Cheese” ($12)—comprising of AAA beef patty topped with Swiss cheese, Quebec cheddar cheese, smokey bacon, lettuce, tomato, red onion, Dijon mayonnaise—however, was a better choice. The two cheeses in the Bacon Royal added a nice dimension of flavor, unlike the heavy BBQ burger.

Verdict: Overall surprisingly good burgers served by great staff.

1465 Crescent
(514) 903-5575
www.burgerbarcrescent.com

[pagebreak]

Five Guys Burgers
An expansion of the American franchise, Five Guys has created quite the buzz in Montreal. Curious to see what all the hype was about, I decided to finally make my way over. Walking in, you immediately notice the pile of potato bags a few feet from the entrance, which I suppose is to illustrate the non-frozen premise of the Five Guys franchise. The restaurant, despite being rather bright with its white and red tiled walls, is small with few seating options, giving the impression that it serves as more of a ‘order to go’ type of place. It is open-concept which is nice as you can see the kitchen staff in action. Staff is friendly and service is quick. Regular burgers ($6.49 to $7.99) contain two patties while the small burgers ($4.49 to $5.49) have one. Feeling quite hungry I opted for the Bacon cheeseburger with fries (total $12.96). What better way to end an exam filled afternoon than by eating a nice juicy burger with Sunday Bloody Sunday playing in the background! Luckily, my burger was quite good. The choice of toppings is standard as well as free. The meat was moist, lettuce had crunch, and the bacon was crispy. Aside from the bun being of standard grocery store brand and the cheese not being fully melted, overall it was a pretty good burger for a fast food joint. However, eating a Five Guys burger is like a race against time and requires heavy napkin use. Before you know your burger is falling apart and I would not suggest putting it down unless you plan to finish it with a fork and knife. I am not a fan of the fries, although I have heard that there is a spicy fry option and that they are better. If going with friends, one order of fries will be enough for 2-3 people, depending on appetite. 

Verdict: While I wouldn’t go out of my way for a Five Guys burger, it remains one of the better fast food burgers.

468 McGill
(514) 507-2560
www.fiveguys.com

Buns
Voted #1 in the Mirror’s Best of Montreal for the past 3 consecutive years, Buns seems to remain popular among Montrealers. Décor is simple, as is the menu. There are but a few seats in the green-walled Buns on Saint Laurent, and most customers seem to prefer opting for take-out orders. Considering how the restaurant can become quite the inferno on a hot summer day, I can’t blame them. What makes this burger so popular? I have no idea—not the slightest clue. There is nothing exceptional that would rate Buns as the #1—much less even considered in the top five—of burgers anywhere. While the size of the patty is perfect for a burger, the meat is overcooked and flavourless. The hamburger buns are bland and can barely hold together the components of the burger, often falling apart midway through—which is ironic considering the name of the establishment. The food may be inexpensive—a simple hamburger for $4 and a double hamburger for $6—but I’d rather pay an extra few dollars and have a decent meal. Personally, cheap food does not justify lack of quality or preparation. Perhaps the Saint Catherine location is better; however, after having been disappointed so many times with the Saint Laurent location, I cannot bring myself to try it again.

Verdict: Having visited Buns on several occasions, I still maintain that it is nowhere close to being a burger contender and I remain astonished that it continues to be voted in the top five of Montreal.

3673 St. Laurent
(514) 759-7799

Burger De Ville
Being displeased with the food at the original location on Westminister, I decided to give the Saint Laurent location a shot before writing this review. At Burger de Ville, orders are taken at the counter and customers are then given a number and told to sit anywhere they’d like while the food is being prepared. Once you have selected your burger—in my case the Bacon Cheeseburger ($6.25)—you may select your toppings from the list of available and free options listed on the menu. Aside from the meat being slightly overcooked, my burger was fantastic! No iceberg lettuce here, instead they use arugula, which packs a lot more flavor. The black poppy seed bun is not as delicious as the one served at La Paryse, but it is a close second. The bacon—oh wow the bacon! For those of you keeping up with the reviews, you are aware that I am not a bacon lover (gasp!) but I must say that whatever brand of bacon they are using at Burger de Ville is a good one! It was thick, juicy, and perfectly cooked. Word of advice: this is not a neat burger-eating-experience as this tasty burger requires heavy napkin use! Overall, while service is a lot better at the Westminister location, I did prefer the burger served at the Saint Laurent location.

Verdict: Had the meat been cooked medium, I would have been in burger heaven.

5282 St. Laurent blvd
(514) 507-5050
&
59 Westminster North
(514) 564-9902
www.burgerdeville.com

[pagebreak]

Honorable Mentions

Le Boucan5 napkin burger ($15)
If they could master consistent cooking of the meat, this could be a great burger.

Mechant Boeuf Skinny Burger ($17)
AAA beef (4 oz), bocconcini, portobello, roma tomatoes, arugula with emulsion of meat glaze
Although seriously overpriced and the bun being too thin to hold the components together, this is a tasty burger.

Paolo and Suzanne
Although the Tennessee burger was my favorite, unfortunately it is not a regular menu item. Until its reappearance, the Burger Ultime ($7.99) or the Paolo Burger ($8.79) suffice and make for the perfect late night meal.

Sofia Mazzamauro, born and raised in Montreal, is majoring in English Cultural Studies and minoring in Communication and Italian Studies. Along with being the editor-in-chief of Her Campus McGill, she is a writer for Leacock’s online magazine’s food section at McGill University and the editor of the Women’s Studies Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Journal. After graduation, she aspires to pursue a career in lifestyle magazine writing in Montreal.