Brenin Watts, Co-Chair of P[h]assion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

This week we would love to introduce you to our Campus Celeb, Brenin Watts! A 20-year-old U2 Marketing student from Lakefield, Ontario, Brenin is the Co-Chair of the philanthropic Management club P[h]assion. Beyond that, he recently began creating his own designs which he would love to showcase in P[h]assion’s annual runway show. In addition to his adoration for fashion, Brenin also has a passion for the music industry. Over the summer he started his own music marketing business, which provides one-year marketing plans to start-up musicians.

Gabrielle Lee Gabauer for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): So I know because I am involved with the club also, but for our readers, what exactly is P[h]assion?

Brenin Watts (BW)P[h]assion is a philanthropic committee run through the MUS. We organize and produce an annual fashion show and year-round hype events in order to raise money for local HIV/AIDS awareness charity, Maison Plein Coeur. We mix our love of fashion and passion for humanity to better the Montreal community.

HC McGill: What made you want to get involved in the first place?

BW: I have always had a love of fashion, and knew it was something I wanted to pursue in my future. Before I started attending McGill, after I received my acceptance letter, I can remember looking through the Desautels website at all of the different extracurricular clubs and committees. I was immediately drawn to P[h]assion; it was the perfect mix of three of my passions, fashion, philanthropy, and business. I immediately applied to join P[h]assion in my first semester at McGill, and it has since made a huge impact on my university experience.

HC McGill: What is your role on the team, and how is it different from roles you served in previous years?

BW: This year, I am one of the Chairs of P[h]assion. It’s my third year involved with P[h]assion and I have previously acted as a Production Coordinator and the Director of Production.

Along with my other Co-Chair, Clara, we are in charge of overseeing all the subcommittees of P[h]assion, as well as designing the central themes and concepts for the show and hype events. All three years of P[h]assion has allowed me to be really creative and innovative in actually planning the shows, which is one of the many reasons I love being involved. This year, however, has really given me the opportunity to grow as a leader. There is a lot of responsibility in the position, but there is a great payoff seeing all of the results at the final show.

HC McGill: What is your favourite part about being involved in P[h]assion?

BW: Seeing the final show is definitely my favourite part about being in P[h]assion. The entire committee puts so much effort in throughout the year. The lights, the clothes, the audience. It’s so rewarding to see the effects of all of our hard work. Last year, especially, we really worked hard into making the entire evening an event, rather than just a show. It was an amazing night to be a part of.

HC McGill: Can you spill any details about what you have in store for the club this upcoming year?

BW: Of course, I can give you a few hints. This year, we are really trying to bring P[h]assion back to its cause, HIV/AIDS awareness. Our theme for the year will intertwine significant dates in HIV/AIDS research history with the fashion at the time.  We’ll be travelling back in time to celebrate the progress that the HIV/AIDS community has made.

We also have some brand new pre-show events planned for this year. Make sure to keep your eyes out in Bronfman, you never know when a model may suddenly appear!

HC McGill: Do you have a particularly fond memory or anecdote from your time with P[h]assion?

BW: Last year, I was filming the model auditions for a behind-the-scenes video. During the auditions I joked about being a model myself, and pretended to do my best walk in front of the choreography committee. I guess I stomped it out better than I thought, because they actually chose me to be one of the models. The actual experience was very cool though, and quite nerve racking. Walking is a lot harder than it looks, especially when you’re being stared at by 100 pairs of eyes. It was interesting seeing the show from that perspective, and I didn’t trip, which I was happy about.

HC McGill: Anything else you want to add?

BW: Make sure to come out to our show this year at the end of March, and get ready for some great surprises throughout the year!

Images provided by interviewee.

Originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Gabrielle is a fourth year student at McGill University. She watches a lot (some might say too much TV) and has gotten into screaming matches over movies. In her spare time, she enjoys being utterly self-deprecating. For clever tweets, typically composed by her favorite television writers, follow her twitter. For overly-posed (but pretending not to be) photographs follow her Instagram.