Ann and Emma, Co-Presidents of Education Beyond Borders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Meet Ann (right) and Emma (left), the dedicated and enthusiastic Co-Presidents of McGill Students for Education Beyond Borders. Emma is a U3 student from Chicago studying Psychology with a minor in Marketing. Ann is also a U3 student from Chicago studying English Literature with a minor in French Literature. 

Michelle Sung for Her Campus McGill (HC McGill): What is the principle behind Education Beyond Borders?

Ann Cernek and Emma Caffrey (AC and EC): Education Beyond Borders (EBB) can be summed up in three easy words: Educate, Empower, Engage. McGill Students for EBB tries to work on both a global and local level in order to raise awareness about the inequalities of education around the world.

HC McGill: Why did you decide to get involved with Education Beyond Borders and how did you connect with their goals?

EC: About two years ago, I went to Activities Night with Ann and had heard about this club, so we wanted to get more information about it. I met with the presidents who fully explained to me the purpose of the club and was immediately intrigued. I’ve been part of the club ever since. I decided to get involved with EBB because I truly believe in the importance of education for everyone. Education is the foundation for everything else.

AC: As a first year, I kenw I wanted to join a club through which I could volunteer locally. EBB was, and still is, the perfect fit for me as I am also really interested in education. I have been privileged enough to have been offered a fantastic education my entire life. I certainly don’t take that for granted and want to do everything I can to increase everyone’s educational opportunities.

HC McGill: What upcoming events are you most excited about?

EC: I am personally super excited for our ComedyNest event! It’s going to be our club’s first big event outside of campus and I can’t wait. The headliner is Mark Normand who has been on Conan. He’s really funny and it’ll be nice to get out of the McGill bubble.

AC: As Emma said, our ComedyNest event is going to be awesome! Please contact us for tickets, you wont regret it! We will also be hosting another Coffehouse event in the SSMU Ballroom on February 19th. Please check out our Facebook event page for the ComedyNest night! 

HC McGill: How can others get involved with Education Beyond Borders?

AC and EC: Anyone can join our club! We have General Meetings once a week, which are open to anyone interested. As McGill Students, we know that everyone has a lot on their plates, so we keep all meetings under 30 minutes! There are so many different ways to get involved with us. We are always looking for extra help with our Coffeehouse event, samosa sales, and high school workshops!

HC McGill: It sounds like you have a lot on your plate between school, serving as Co-Presidents of McGill Students for Education Beyond Borders, and other extracurriculars. What do you do to de-stress, at times?

EC: I love running! I try to fit in time to run at least four to five times a week. It’s a great way to release stress and it’s good for you! Right now, I’ve been obsessing with listening to Serial episodes as I’m exercising.

AC: Netflix! Just (partially) kidding… I also enjoy going to the gym, cooking, and exploring Montreal with my friends!

HC McGill: How do you think modern technology is evolving the future of education?

EC: With modern technology I believe education could be made more available to the masses. 

AC: Hopefully educational programs are encouraging students to be more in touch with the rest of the world: Different systems can definitely benefit from sharing their learning techniques with each other. 

To learn more about McGill Students for Education Beyond Borders, check out their Facebook page.  

Images provided by interviewees.