“Ampersand: the Conference” brings multi-disciplinary students together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Have you felt a change in the air? A shift in the wind? If so, it’s probably because it’s coming – Ampersand: the Conference. Currently, preparations are beginning for the seventh annual conference, organized by McGill’s Bachelors of Arts and Science Integrative Council (BASIC). True to its Art-Sci roots, the conference is a platform for students to connect and look at a variety of questions from various perspectives… a lot of attention is paid to interdisciplinary topics and mixed media,” according to Inna Tarabukhina, the fourth-year Cognitive Science student chairing the event.

The conference is not only for those in the Arts and Science program – it welcomes students from all faculties and departments in order to foster a cross-disciplinary dialogue, to get creative and facilitate personal and inter-personal growth. There is an intimate networking cocktail planned to kick off the conference on March 21st, held in the beautiful Royal Victoria College West Lounge. On March 22nd, there is a full day of activities planned at New Rez, including an interesting line-up of speakers, prizes to be won, and even a surprise in addition to all the networking, skill-building, and memory making that are anticipated.

This year’s theme is Science(fiction), a topic chosen in order to encourage participants to think about the many ways in which fiction has become, and is continuing to become, our reality. Though the world is changing fast, it’s important to appreciate how much it is shaped and driven forward by humans’ capacity for creativity and design, and still more important to get an idea of where we are going. To that effect, Ampersand will be bringing together a very diverse line-up of speakers to infuse both fun and thoughtfulness into the conference. Participants should expect an interesting presentation on synthetic cheese and the future of food production, as well as some insight into new start-up technologies that are contributing immensely to modern-day innovation. With this varied and interdisciplinary group of speakers, Inna hopes to  “show students that you are the shaper of your own reality, and bringing science fiction to life is our own responsibility.”

Ampersand is an excellent example of the many long-term, student-driven commitments that shape the McGill community. Planning for this conference takes almost all year: it started with a small team of five directors in September, and has since grown to a dedicated group of twenty student volunteers. Inna says she is “inspired and motivated by the energy and the ideas that volunteers bring to the table, and we work hard to make sure the volunteering experience is pleasant and fun, as well as a learning experience.”

The ampersand, the official name for the unofficial logo of the BA&Sc degree program, stands for the importance of overlap between disciplines, which is exactly what the conference hopes to inspire. “You have to see the art in science and the science in the arts,” Inna explains. Not only is it good for our minds to practice an approach to different topics from different perspectives, but it is also quickly becoming an indispensable aspect of success in today’s world. Flexibility is key, and an appropriate mix of science and art is “important to be able to make connections and synthesize information from a variety of sources… and provides the tools to handle change in a fruitful and rewarding way.” Inna explains, “Interdisciplinary disposition in both school and work allows you to absorb more and to discover more for yourself – it’s all about keeping things interesting.”

Ampersand: the Conference is sure to deliver on its promise to be interesting and rewarding, so get your tickets soon! For more information and to purchase tickets (Tickets are $5 for one day or $7 for both days) you can like the Ampersand Facebook Page, Web Site, Twitter, tumblr, Instagram, and EventBrite.

Please note that the author is a volunteer for Ampersand: the Conference.