5 Ways to Practice Self-Care During Midterms Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

October is a time of transition and as the leave changes and the temperature drops as does the academic atmosphere at McGill. Add-drop has become a distant memory and students have traded in drinks on terraces in Old Port with unhealthy levels of coffee in the library. It’s Midterm season.

It is no secret that with midterms comes an unhealthy amount of stress, caffeine intake, and hours spent studying in McLennan. While that’s pretty unavoidable, it’s also important to make sure you are taking care of yourself so you can actually make that 8:30 midterm.

Here are five self-care tips for midterm season to ensure that you are staying happy and healthy, even during the most stressful of weeks:

1. Getting enough sleep

While it could be tempting to chug that extra-large latte in Redpath at 2 in the morning and attempt to rally until your morning class the next day, you would be much better off getting sleep to ensure your brain is able to function at full capacity for your exam the next day. There is only so much you can learn on an overworked brain! 

The American Psychological Association suggests that in addition to getting a good night sleep, daily naps can improve reasoning and alertness. To take the most effective nap, researchers suggest taking 60 minute or 90 minute naps. Timing is key to ensure you don’t wake up groggy and make sure to ignore that urge to hit snooze! 

2. Study Breaks

Taking a productive study break can make all the difference during those long hours at the library. Reading a chapter of a book, preferably one you don’t need to read for a class, is a great break from your studies. Watching an episode of your favorite show or taking time to chat with your study buddies are also relaxing ways to give your brain a break. 

Taking a quick walk is a great way to check in with yourself, listen to motivational music, and clear your head. You can only sit in one spot in the library for so long and taking time to stretch your legs can be that refreshing boost you need. If you’re studying on campus, walking to a nearby coffee shop is a great way of both fitting in some physical movement and getting your caffeine fix. 

3. Going to the Gym

If a quick walk around the block isn’t enough to get your blood flowing, going to the gym is a both a productive and energizing study break. Working out is a great way to ensure that you are staying healthy and active, especially after you drank that venti pumpkin spice latte with extra whipped cream.

For those who going to the gym really isn’t their thing, taking the long way to the library, hiking up the mountain, or doing an ab circuit at home are all ways you can incorporate physical exercise without committing to the treadmill and weights.

4. Eating Healthy

Eating healthy food doesn’t just prevent your stomach from loudly growling in the silent section of the library, it can also improve your brain power and studying ability. Eating oily fish like salmon and nuts can promote brain function. Whole grains and complex carbohydrates provide your body with energy through glucose in your bloodstream which can help improve your concentration.  According to a study from Tufts University, blueberries could help improve your short-term memory for all those cramming last minute the night before an exam!

Cooking is also a great way to take a productive study break and ensure that you are eating healthy. Finding healthy recipes that incorporate those foods that can boost your studying ability is not only be a productive study break but will also a great way to give your brain the fuel it needs to keep on reviewing those lecture slides. 

4. Treat yourself!

Exam season is hard and rewarding yourself every so often is a great way to keep up your spirits. Whether it’s picking up a pint of your favorite ice cream, getting that large pumpkin spice latte with extra whipped cream, or going out with your friends at the end of a long week, you deserve to treat yourself. 

And once the brunt of your exams is over, don’t forget to do something for you. Having a spa and movie night is a great way to finally breathe after a busy exam season. Making it through exam season is impressive in itself and you deserve that extra pint of ice cream and facemask!

Images obtained from:

https://carleton.ca/ses/deferred-exam-schedule/

https://www.sepshoes.com/

http://www.nutritionnews.abbott/science-quality/study-shows-foods-to-eat…

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317407.php

Originally from New Jersey, I am a political science and international development major at McGill University in Montreal. In addition for writing for Her Campus, I am also a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma and on the executive board of Its On Us McGill.