Campus Celebrity Tyler Atkins (’16)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MBU chapter.

Name: Tyler Atkins

Major/Minor: Visual Communications/Theater

Year: 2016

Campus Involvement: SOULS (Students Out Understanding and Loving Students), Safe Zone Leader, Leader of the Transgender Support Group

Hometown: Durham, North Carolina

Her Campus (HC): What is your favorite thing to do?

Tyler Atkins (TA): Free time? What free time? (Laughs) I’m lazy. I love to watch TV.

HC: What is your favorite show?

TA: Oh, don’t ask me that question. Dr. Who… and NCIS. I have a fish named Gibbs and a fish named Abby.

HC: How did you choose Mary Baldwin?

TA: I originally came to Mary Baldwin because of VWIL, the Virginia Women’s Institute for Leadership. My senior year of high school I applied for the Navy Scholarship, but I did not receive it for health issues. Then I discovered Mary Baldwin and the VWIL Corps of Cadets. I actually applied to Mary Baldwin behind my mother’s back. She did not know I was applying to this school. I got the letter and my mother opened it before I got home. She was sitting on the couch waiting for me to get home, and as soon as I got home, she was like, “What is this?” We came for a tour and I did an overnight with VWIL, and that was that. Decision was made.

HC: How long were you in VWIL?

TA: I stayed in VWIL my entire freshman year.

HC: Why did you leave?

TA: Partially because I was medically disqualified to join the Navy, partially because of parental pressure to quit. But, I decided that I wanted to stay at Mary Baldwin.

HC: What is your gender?

TA: My gender is male. My sex is female. Gender is between the eyes, sex between the thighs (laughs).

HC: How do you feel about identifying as male on this campus?

TA: t’s a little intimidating. That’s why I went through so many stages of coming out. Sophomore year I came out only to my close friends as bigendered, went my Tory/Tyler. Thought most people at this school would accept it more because they could call me Tory. Then, after a while I realized that’s just not who I am. So, I just came out after, god, too long, as Tyler. I’m actually surprised at how well I’ve been accepted by the campus.

HC: Did you think it would go over poorly?

TA: I don’t exactly know what I was expecting. The professors have been great. Before classes start I send them an email and say, “Hi, my name is ‘blah blah blah’ on your record, but I go by Tyler and use male pronouns.” The best response I’ve gotten was from Dr. Potter, in the history department, who said, “Good evening, Mr. Atkins. Thank you for your email. It’s okay, people get my name wrong, too.” (Laughs). It made my day.

HC: What would you say to someone in your position who has not yet come out?

TA: Everything is on your timeline. Don’t let anyone pressure you to do something that you don’t feel comfortable with. Surround yourself with people that will support you no matter what. When I first came out I didn’t know what my friends would say or if I had a support system. Sometimes the only thing you can do is trust your friends because if they’re really your friends they’re not going to leave.

Rachel Heacock is a second-year at the University of Virginia. She is an Applied Statistics major with a concentration in Actuarial Finance with interest in an English minor. When she isn't watching baseball, she's in class, studying, or reading up on FanGraphs and MLB Trade Rumors. Born and raised in Northern Virginia, Rachel loves attending Washington Nationals games or relaxing at her southern lake house with her Lab-German Shepherd mixed puppy.