Brenda Echak (’16)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MBU chapter.

Name: Brenda Echak

Year: Junior

Hometown: Anchorage, Alaska

Major: International Affairs

Favorite Food: Peanut Butter Sandwich (with honey and/or chocolate)

Favorite Sport: None, but likes to watch the Super Bowl

Favorite Shows:  Orange is the New Black, The Walking Dead, and How I Met Your Mother

This sweet and fun-filled junior enjoys spending time in nature, writing songs, and planning campus events with the Baldwin Program Board.

HC (Her Campus): So Brenda, what is your relationship status?

BE (Brenda Echak): (laughs and chokes on coffee) Um, uh, I’m single.

HC: When looking for a significant other, do you look at physical attributes or do you care more about personality?

BE: Well, I’m always looking for someone who can make me laugh, so I would definitely say I look at personality first.

HC: That’s nice! So, I know that you’re in VWIL (Virginia Women Institution of Leadership, the ROTC program at Mary Baldwin), but what other activities do you enjoy, on or off campus?

BE: I really enjoy creating the events on campus, for the Baldwin Program Board (BPB). We have weekly events for MBC students. I joined last year as a sophomore and I was the secretary. It was so fun! I got to plan events like Downtown Movie Madness and I got to give out free gifts and prizes at the events that we hosted. I’m the chairwoman of the board this year and I’m really enjoying it!

HC: What other activities or hobbies do you enjoy besides Baldwin Program Board and VWIL?

BE:  I like to play the ukulele when I have free time! I’m kind of an amateur singer/songwriter.

HC: So you’ve written your own songs?

BE: Yeah! And I sometimes play the Open Mic Night that’s hosted by Outrageous Fortune.

HC: So, what’s your favorite childhood memory?

BE:  I’d have to say just living and growing up in Alaska, going camping with my mom and sister and little brother and a bunch of my cousins. Chilling out in the woods around the fire until like 3am.

HC: So, would you consider that an ideal date?

BE: Yeah, camping or hiking would make a great date! You know, gettin’ cozy around the fire. (Laughs) I do like to shop, too, though; I love the little local stores in Downtown Staunton.

HC: So, who is your celebrity crush?

BE: I do have a little mini crush on Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Radcliffe.

HC: What’s your biggest pet peeve?

BE: Definitely people who ask too many questions in class, or click their pens repetitively. Or when people put too much milk in their coffee! It’s not even coffee anymore if you do that!

HC: What are your biggest turn-ons?

BE: Oh my gosh! (Laughs) Um, this is kind of difficult because I don’t really talk to anyone about these things, but I guess the collarbone/neck area.

HC: What is your favorite quote or words to live by?

BE: I live by the words, “It’ll always be harder tomorrow, so you might as well push through today.”

HC: Are you happy that you chose to go to Mary Baldwin?

BE: I had no idea that I’d be going to school across the country, but I’m really glad that Mary Baldwin found me! I love going here, but I do miss home a lot because I’m always away for so long! I also miss the winters!

HC: What’s your favorite Mary Baldwin memory?

BE: I would say, training my freshman year. It really brought my class together and built a relationship between us for the years to come.

Kalli-Anne Hymons is a devoted student in Mary Baldwin College's Early College Academy. She is an English major with a minor in Creative Writing. When she isn't getting lost in a new book or catching up on her favorite shows on Netflix, you can find her studying or working hard in class. Kalli-Anne was born and raised in Chesapeake, Virginia, and enjoys reading and playing field hockey. 
Rachel Heacock is a second-year at the University of Virginia. She is an Applied Statistics major with a concentration in Actuarial Finance with interest in an English minor. When she isn't watching baseball, she's in class, studying, or reading up on FanGraphs and MLB Trade Rumors. Born and raised in Northern Virginia, Rachel loves attending Washington Nationals games or relaxing at her southern lake house with her Lab-German Shepherd mixed puppy.