This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

By Alexandra Albright

Having a handful of quality makeup brushes is KEY to any beauty regimen. Using the right tools will take your skills to the next level. So please, leave the finger painting to the kids and throw out those cheap foam wand applicators. 

Using the correct makeup brushes for each technique will actually save you time and money. The precision of a brush allows you to take exactly how much product you need, and also allows you to build up until you’re satisfied with your look. Using sponges not only wastes product, but can also leave your face looking caked on and messy.

Here is a list of some basic but useful makeup brushes that can help you create the perfect beauty routine:

Kabuki Brush

Best for all-over face powder, like mineral or setting products.

Powder Brush

Used to apply light coverage powders such as blush or bronzer.

Fan Brush

Lightly dusts on powders, especially highlighter on the cheek bones, bridge of the nose, etc…

Foundation Brush

These brushes can have different shapes, round flat, etc. Either way it gives you a “flawless” foundation application. Apply in a circular motion for the best results. 

Contour Brush

An angled brush allows for precise contouring along the cheekbones.

Concealer Brush

Perfect for accurate application and blending of concealers.

Angled Liner Brush

This fine angled brush fits perfectly on the lash line for precise lining with gel eyeliner of even eye shadow. It can also be used to fill in brows.

Dome Shadow Brush

Your most basic eye shadow brush, used to apply colors to the lid or brow bone. 

Fluffy Shadow Brush

Used to blend out harsh lines or blend colors together.

Mini Shadow Brush

Works best for concentrating color on smaller areas of the eye. Can help you achieve the perfect smokey eye look. 

Angled Shadow Brush

Used to apply and blend shadows along the crease. 

McKensie is a senior at Marywood University majoring in Advertising and Public Relations. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Marywood which she co-founded in April 2015 with Alexandra Goebelbecker. McKensie also serves as a blogger for Frame Your Future, an anchor for TV-Marywood, Arts & Entertainment Editor for The Wood Word, and captain for Marywood's cheerleading squad.