A Love Letter to Loughran Hall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marywood chapter.

Loughran, Loggie, Log, no matter what you call it, Loughran was or still is your home. It has housed countless Marywood students (and nuns) in its halls. It has seen you at your best, and definitely at your worst. The lounges have been your home when you had countless amounts of homework, when you couldn’t stand your roommates any longer, and when you needed somewhere to secretly cry to your mom.

As a sophomore, I currently live in the Woodlands. When I first moved into the Woodlands, I was overly excited because I did not have to live with a 2 a.m. rule or signing people in, but about two weeks into the semester I started to realize all the things I missed about Loughran.

The thing I missed the most was my entire class being together. There was nothing better than walking down the hall in Loughran and knowing every face. Almost everyone I came in contact with in the halls I knew well enough to say, “hey (insert name here), what’s up?” and they knew me well enough to respond with, “hey, just got out of class… time to go take a nap.”

Not only were my roommates my best friends, but also everyone in my hall (a.k.a. Narnia). If I was ever upset, I could knock on any door in the hallway and I knew someone would answer. I became friends with some people simply because of the location of our rooms and those friendships have become ones that I cherish. Now, half of my friends live across campus and I barely see them.

Another thing I found myself missing was Loughran’s close proximity to every building on campus (besides McGowan). I was able to leave my room at 8:55 and still make it to my 9:00 class in the science building with time to spare. Also, the gym was right across the street!! I mean, it is not like I ever went but the opportunity was always there if I wanted to.

Loughran housed almost all of my favorite memories from freshman year. From spending all night in the 24 hour lounge after a night out to dragging my roommate down the hall on my comforter, Loughran was there through it all. 

I made my way back to Loughran last week to visit a friend. People were running in and out of the room and down the hallways and I realized that Loggie will always have a piece of my heart. Loughran never judged me when I was laughing at 4 a.m. or crying at 7 a.m. the next morning. Loughran loved me when I was not sure how to love myself. Loughran saw me transform from a naïve little girl to an independent and successful college student.

Alexandra Goebelbecker is a senior Advertising and Public Relations Major with a Comprehensive Social Science Minor. She co-founded Her Campus Marywood in April 2015 with McKensie Curnow. She makes up 1/2 of political column, Back to Back with co-author, Anna Notchick. In addition she is an intern at Condron Media, Student Activities Shadow, President of service sorority, Alpha Sigma Psi, Vice President of Marywood's Chapter of PRSSA and AAF, and LYM Campus Crew Member. Additionally she is a former  HC Campus Expansion Assistant and current High School Program Mentor.  Her passions include pop culture, popcorn and politics.   For more of Alexandra's Work: https://alexandrajgoebelbecker.wordpress.com