Seasonal Spirit: 5 Tips to Get you in the Christmas Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Now that we have successfully passed Thanksgiving I think it’s officially time to get into the Christmas spirit! I am going to be real with you all: usually I’m ready for Christmas well before Thanksgiving, but this year I just wasn’t feeling it. Maybe it is because the weather has been warmer or that the holidays are different for me and my family this year. Regardless of the circumstances, I don’t want to be a Grinch so, if you are feeling like me and can’t seem to get into the Christmas spirit, here are five tips to have you ready for the season in no time! 

1. Watch a Christmas Movie 

Nothing gets me in the Christmas Spirit like a good old Christmas movie. A fun tradition that many people have is watching the first Christmas movie of the season on Thanksgiving Night. It allows you to celebrate Thanksgiving and then get ready for Christmas. My favorite Christmas movies are the ones on Hallmark, Elf and the Santa Claus movies. They really know how to bring on the Christmas cheer!

2. Winterize Your Surroundings

Another great way to boost your mood for Christmas is to decorate! I like to put on a Christmas playlist and jam out as I put up a tree or decorate my room. This photo is of my dorm room last year. I kept it simple by changing the bedding to be a bit more festive, added some lights, and a mini tree. My room instantly felt so cozy and warm that I was longing for winter break.

3. Create a Christmas Playlist 

Aside from movies, Christmas music really puts me in the perfect mood. Once again, I didn’t start listening until after Thanksgiving! I suggest you go with the upbeat Christmas songs though. It gives you something to jam out and dance around to. 

4. Participate in Festive Activities 

A favorite activity of mine it to bake and decorate Christmas cookies. Last year my roommates and I all decorated Gingerbread houses together. They didn’t turn out to well, but it was a great time and made us feel more Christmasey. Some other activities I suggest you try are: ice skating, tree decorating, a live nativity walk, and even Christmas Caroling!

5. Enjoy Time With Friends and Family 

There is nothing more important than family during the holiday season. Even if they are a little crazy or awkward, it is so important to enjoy every moment with them. Last Christmas I lost my grandmother and it has been hard ever since. It has reminded me though to enjoy every minute with my family and hug them a little tighter this year. Nothing screams Christmas like family either laughing at the top of their lungs or bickering like crazy people.

I hope these tips are somewhat helpful and can get you into the Christmas Spirit. After all, no one likes to have a Scrooge around.

I wish you all the best with finals and may your Christmas be merry and bright!