How to Make the Most Out of Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

By the time winter break rolls around, college students are simply exhausted from their hectic semester. It’s tempting to want to spend all day on the couch, although that may not be the best use of your time. Winter break can often take the structure out of our lives because the stress of having to write a paper or studying for an exam is essentially non-existent at this point in time. We all need a break at some point in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle and clear our minds. So here are 10 tips on how to be productive, have fun and stay relaxed over this winter break!

Tip 1: Create a schedule

Disorganized? Create a schedule. The schedule you create can be as loosely built or as detailed as you like. Plan out your weeks ahead of time, or simply go day by day. Decide what time you will wake up in the morning, and set a gentle alarm for yourself. There is no shame in sleeping in a little when you have no major commitments, but don’t waste the day away! You’ll be wondering what you ended up missing out on while you were dreaming. Make goals for yourself of things you would like to accomplish each day. It could be mundane activities, like going to CVS to buy a new hair brush or making that doctor’s appointment you’ve been waiting on a little too long. And it’s not a bad idea to review your schedule for next semester, either.

Tip 2: Be social 

Want to reminisce? Winter break is a time when college students have the opportunity to catch up with old friends. Take advantage of the time you have to see the people who are most important to you Spend time with someone special. Have date nights with your significant other (or someone new ;). Check out local concerts, hit the town, and go to parties! Better yet, throw that killer holiday soirée that you’ve always dreamed of, and take lots of pictures in order to document the awesome winter break memories you are making.

Tip 3: Plan a vacation 

Interested in a new adventure? Vacations are generally better executed when they are planned at least a few weeks in advance. It doesn’t always have to be that way, though. Spur of the moment trips can be fantastic also, and they don’t have to put a ginormous hole in your wallet! It could even just be a weekend trip out of town with a few close friends. For example, take a trip to New York City that only cost $60 round trip on the bus from DC. You only live once so be spontaneous!

Tip 4: Apply for a seasonal job or get ahead at work

Feeling industrious? Then apply for a seasonal position in retail. It’s a great opportunity to make some extra cash. Plus, it adds a new line of experience to your budding resume. Stores will be hiring during the holidays! If not retail, then find some other ways to make a little extra money, like babysitting for example. Or, if you are already employed, take advantage of the quiet time at the office between Christmas and New Year’s Day to get ahead on new projects. You’ll also have fewer interruptions and distractions both in person and via email. Future CEO status? I think, yes.

Tip 5: Clean and redecorate your bedroom or living space

Time to spruce up your home décor? Go for it. It happens to the best of us; you get busier and your home gets messier. Cleaning can even be therapeutic. And if one thing is for sure, you won’t regret doing so. Try rearranging the furniture in your house or apartment, once you’ve removed the clutter. A little feng shui never hurt anyone. Plus, it’s a fun creative process. You can admire your own work when you finish, and your friends might like it, too!

[pagebreak]

Tip 6: Plan your budget 

Need to consider your finances more? I know, it’s kind of boring. However, it’s still important, even if you are a college student with less than a thousand dollars in your bank account. If you don’t keep track of your spending, you’ll be more likely to overdraft, which deters you from saving more. Winter break is likely a more relaxed time for you to take the opportunity to sit down and focus on these kinds of things. You’ll be glad you did, and you’ll know the best times to treat yourself and when to curb your spending.

Tip 7: Read for fun 

As college students, we are so accustomed to reading textbooks. (Almost always…) And sometimes, it gets to a point where that’s all we read because we are on time constraints. Since you have more free time, check out a new book from the library or buy one from your local book store. Read your own book of choice for pleasure. We all deserve that feeling of silence and solitude when we’re entranced and captivated by a great book. Curl up somewhere cozy, relax and enjoy.

Tip 8: Take the GRE, LSAT, or MCAT

Do you see a graduate program in your future? Since so many college students place stress on these exams, it may be best to not take one of them during the fall or spring semester. Save it for winter break, or even summer. That way, you’ll be able to focus and prepare more. Hopefully, you’ll get a great score!

Tip 9: Research spring and summer internships 

Need to find an internship? Similarly to most other universities, Marymount University requires an internship in order for a student to receive their diploma during the graduation ceremony. The internship can be completed during the junior or senior year. If that’s where you’re at right now, make an appointment with your advisor before break starts or shoot them an email explaining your situation. See if they can give you some contacts, and go with it. When you send off your cover letters and copies of your resume, tell your prospective employers how your Marymount education has made you a more intellectually curious individual.

Tip 10: Decide on your New Year’s Resolutions 

Ready to turn over a new leaf? This is a great time to do so. If you’re thinking that you need to make some changes in your life and you are ready to try something new, write it down in a journal or notebook. Start small and build on your new ideas each day. Your resolution can be whatever you like, relating to your collegiette career, eating and gym regimen, spirituality, love life, or social life. As Gandhi wisely said it, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” It all starts with you on the inside. I know you can do it! 

Linda Quinones is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Marymount. She is also a member of the executive board, specializing in recruitment for the Student Ambassador program. The 21 year old is originally from New York City and has dreams of working for Seventeen Magazine and making her mark in the fashion industry. She was raised by a single mother, whose hard work, sacrifice and independence inspires her everyday to be the best she can be.