HC Marymount Supports Sexual Assault Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

This week, Marymount University held their annual Sexual Assault Awareness Week. A candlelight vigil, the National event known as Take Back the Night, and the Red Line & Clothesline Project were only a few of the ways that Marymount tried to bring awareness to an intense issue that has faced a great amount of attention throughout the media and on campuses… and for good reason.

Statistics show that one in five women and one in sixteen men will be sexually assaulted at some point in their college career. An even greater number are the amount of sexual assaults not reported. 90% of sexual assaults committed on college campuses will not be reported, dealt with or recognized. These numbers are staggering and warrant change.

Her Campus Marymount did their best to add to the cause by handing out teal ribbons and tape with sayings such as “stop the silence” and “speak out”. Below are a few photos from the station!

Photo Credits: Her Campus at Marymount University