Grace Caldwell: Madam President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Name: Grace Caldwell

Year: Senior

Major: Psychology, with a minor in Politics

Home Town: Baltimore, MD

[Image Credit: Facebook, Grace Caldwell]

What are your activities on campus? I am SGA President, and a Student Ambassador in the Admissions Office.

What are some of your hobbies?

Reading, I like to read in a lot of different places.  I go art museums and read a lot. I run, and drink a lot of Starbucks. So I guess I do Starbucks runs. I do a lot of work at Starbucks, so it’s like a trade off. I also like to blend my own tea.

What is your favorite part of being a student leader?

I like meeting a lot of different students I don’t think I would have met otherwise. I also really like interacting with staff. I have learned a lot about myself and seen people in careers that I may want.

Why did you choose Marymount?

When came to applying to college, I freaked out and probably applied to 60 different schools. They were on the Common App, and I was like “Whatever!”. It finally came down to Marymount and University of Maryland College Park, which is a huge school. I think when I got on campus I was just overwhelmed by how everyone talked to each other and it was so much like a family. Honestly and realistically, I don’t think I would go to class if there were 300 people in my class. I liked the small class size. I just felt like Marymount was a good fit.

What is your favorite thing about Marymount?

I like how friendly everyone is. Just walking over here, I said hi to about four different people. I also just love how beautiful the campus is. A couple of days ago I was talking to a friend while we were walking across the bridge, and I got teary eyed. Its just so nice to walk across the bridge in the morning, and how pretty everything is. I’m not going to have that next year.

What is a typical day like in your life?

I get up, and I shut off my alarm, then I play Two Dot until my lives run out. That lasts about fifteen minutes and then I make myself some tea. After that I have a meeting, work in the admissions office, and go to class. I have a very chill schedule, so I only have class on certain days of the week, and then on others that I have off I do a lot of work.

What do you see yourself doing in five years?

Oh, no. This question haunts me in my sleep. Definitely evokes tears. But, I would like to be working with a non-profit, probably in DC, in their development office.  

What is your most memorable moment at Marymount?

I did the convocation speech this year, and that was pretty memorable. But my most memorable is also my most embarrassing.  I was giving a tour for perspective students, and I was wearing the same pants from the day before, and my underwear from the day before was stuck in the leg! So I was walking around campus with this tour, and I saw a pair of underwear lying on the ground. And I was like, “This does not happen at Marymount very often, I don’t know how those got here, I am so sorry.” But then as I got closer, I realized they were mine! So I realized they must have fallen out of my pants leg, but I didn’t pick them up. That would have been so bad.

What has been your take away from your time At MU?

As far as a career standpoint, I have noticed that a lot of people who work here have a lot of different degrees, but those degrees are not necessarily what they are doing.  It has made me realize that a lot of people are really good at their jobs, but it not necessarily what they started out as. And when I started out at Marymount, I wasn’t sure of what I wanted to do, and I have learned that its never really the end of the road. You can always change.

What is your dream job, and how do you think you will get it?

Running a DC non-profit. I would really like to work with the homeless population and the veteran homeless population. I have been looking up a lot of masters programs that are duel degrees in masters of social work and MBAs. So I feel like I could be a top dog at a non-profit if I have that.

What is your favorite motto or quote?

“A bird sits on a branch, and isn’t worried about the branch breaking, because it has faith in its own wings.” I have that on a post it note in my room.