This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

As girls, it’s great to keep our nails nice, cute, and groomed. Often times we get bored at home or in our dorm rooms. Here are 3 DIY Nail Looks for when boredom strikes!

Striped Nails

Use the picture above as a guide: 

Step 1: Apply a clear base coat. Using a base coat prevents your nails from being damaged by the harshness of the chemicals in a nail lacquer. If a base coat isn’t applied, your fingernails may tint yellow after you remove the nail polish.

Step 2: Choose a lighter color for bottom layer of nail polish. Apply 1-2 coats and allow to dry

Step 3: Cut strips of tape out. Use about 3-4 strips per nail. Place evenly apart from one another on the nail

Step 4: Apply second color and allow to dry

Step 5: Remove strip of tape carefully

Step 6: Apply a top coat.

Cheetah Print Nails

Step 1: Apply a clear base coat.

Step 2: Choose a base color of your choice. For a natural cheetah print look, use a shade of brown (Nude, Coffee, Caramel, etc) or if you want a fun look, you can use a different color, like the one in the photo above. Allow coat to dry.

Step 3: Apply random dots of white (if you’re working with a brown base polish) or a color of the same color family as your base color (if you used a colorful color). Typically, you don’t want the color of the dots to be too harsh.

Step 4: Get a black nail art polish. Create c-like figures around the random dots on the nail bed. Don’t clutter the nails too much. Keep in mind: the black will make the nail look fuller. Add a few random dots using the black nail art polish like in step 7 of the picture. This will create a perfectly imperfect look.

Step 5: Apply a top coat.

Your Choice of Polish with a Matte Finish

Step 1: Apply clear Base Coat.

Step 2: Apply nail polish color of your choice. 

Step 3: Apply Wet n’ Wild Matte Top Coat, which is purchasable at any CVS or Walgreens.