Why Studying Abroad Could be the Best Decision that You Make in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Choosing go abroad is a big decision. A lot happens over the course of semester, back home at University. Is it worth it to leave behind friends, family, and club commitments for 6 months of travel, adventure, and a little bit of school?

This is definitely a life-changing decision, but most students are happy with the choice they made when they spend a semester in a different country.

“I met the most incredible people and formed lasting friendships. I experienced a university abroad, volunteered with children, and spent my weekends traveling to different countries all over Europe. Studying abroad was really the most enriching experience of my life and one I will never forget,” reminisced senior psychology major Stefanie Sequeira, who studied in Italy.

University of Maryland sponsors study abroad programs, which accommodate the academic and financial needs of students.

Students are also able to participate in programs that are not sponsored by UMD, but have been approved by the school.

UMD students say that some of the most popular study abroad destinations are Spain, Italy, England and Australia.

“Going abroad helped me travel beyond the textbook and immerse myself in other cultures. I was able to really feel like an Italian after 4 months in Rome,” Sequeira said.

For students interested in studying abroad, there are plenty of people to help you make the decision. UMD’s Office of International Affairs Education Abroad program offers individual advising.

Students also have the option to meet with an Education Abroad Peer Mentor to help them with any questions they may have. These mentors are students who have already studied abroad, and understand the many steps you have to take before you land across the Atlantic.

Taking classes in a different country with your friends, and meeting tons of new people is an opportunity that many choose to take advantage of.

For students who worry about expenses while going abroad, there is solution for you.  

UMD students are given the opportunity to work, teach, volunteer or intern while they are abroad.

“I was a hostess at a restaurant in Australia while I was abroad, and I’m so glad I did it. It was really nice to have my own spending money, and I really ended up liking my job too,” explained senior journalism major Chelsea Walker.

Study abroad gives us a great deal of new experiences. We end up doing things we never thought we would experience. Whether its making a taking a tour of the Eiffel Tower, or visiting the Colosseum in Rome, there’s plenty of chances to experience new things.

“I was able to travel a lot while I was abroad, allowing me to experience many new cultures and meet many new people. It helped me to grow as an individual and learn about other places and lifestyles,” said senior communications major Allie Thompson. “I visited the Ponte Vecchio, which is the oldest bridge in Florence. It was so beautiful, and it has a bunch of cute jewelry shops along it. I’ll definitely never forget that.”

Overall, UMD students agree: Studying abroad is a once in a lifetime experience that should be taken advantage of if possible.  Whether you choose to study during the winter semester, the summer or a full semester, just take a chance, and expand your horizons with a study abroad.

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.