Where Will You Move After Graduation: Top Cities for Recent Grads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Once second semester senior year hits, students are bombarded with decisions that will determine the next chapter in their lives.  Jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities, or spontaneous traveling will most likely force many of us to relocate. 

A number of factors are important to a recent graduate when it comes to choosing a new place to live, including the city’s cost of living, job opportunities, potential earnings, activities or nightlife, and specific preferences regarding different regions of the country.  But a main priority for many recent graduates is to live among other young professionals. 

These cities attract thousands of recent graduates every year.  Check out some of the most popular cities for recent graduates and young professionals, according to Forbes’ 2011 America’s Best Cities For Young Professionals. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbrennan/2011/07/12/americas-best-cities-for-young-professionals/) and CNBC’s Top 10 U.S. Cities for Young People. (http://www.cnbc.com/id/43025148/Top_10_U_S_Cities_for_Young_People?slide=10)

Washington D.C./Northern Va. – Arlington
The Washington D.C. metropolitan area has ranked as one of the top cities for recent graduates for the last few years.  Northern Virginia, more specifically Arlington and Alexandria, gives young professionals access to all that the city has to offer, from government jobs to trendy cocktail lounges for happy hour.  From the Rosslyn area of Arlington, some residents can see the Washington Monument from their apartment windows.  Washington D.C. provides a nice balance between work and play.

Des Moines, Iowa
Des Moines has become an attractive city for start up companies that are looking to expand, and was ranked as number one on the list of America’s Best Cities For Young Professionals for this year.  The city has an unemployment rate of 5.8 percent and optimistic job growth opportunities.  The Midwest is home to many cities where the cost of living is below the national average, which makes a great transition for college students moving out into the world on their own. 

New York, NY – Northern New Jersey
For those looking for a lively new city after college, the city that never sleeps might be a great fit.  Although the cost of living is above the national average, many young professionals are choosing to live right outside the city in Northern New Jersey, like Hoboken for example.  Just a 15-minute ride on the PATH train will lead you to job opportunities, nightlife, and endless possibilities.

Boston, Mass.
This beautiful city is home to many universities, which most likely leads to its enormous population of highly educated twenty-something year olds.  Despite Boston’s high cost of living, recent graduates are more times than not making a higher salary to match.  The combination of job opportunities, entertainment, and appealing incomes makes Boston an attractive city for young professionals. 

San Francisco, Ca.

Take in the Bay Bridge and cable cars in San Francisco after graduation.  San Francisco, equipped with its financial district, indie culture, and outdoor activities, is a great city for adults in their twenties.  Any recent graduate would love the laid-back vibe this city brings.  This city has great transportation, which makes it easy to get to and from the office, and gives you more time for leisure.

Houston, Texas
For the past few years, Houston has become a prime location for graduates to start their post-college lives.  The combination of the city’s job opportunities, above average salaries, and low cost of living will let any graduate live in style.  Enjoy a city of culture with Houston’s growing international community.